Thanks

General Information About Geocaching
GOF
Thanks

Post by GOF » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:07 pm

Just wanted to take a moment to thank the OC Team for all their help and patience while I've been placing a fair number of BIT caches for release all at once. You guys have been great.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Thanks

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:47 pm

You're quite welcome. My son is going to Philmont, NM with our scout troop in July for 2 weeks.

I'm thinking I might plan a couple 4 day weekends for caching road trips. One back to Western NY and one to Central NC. With those trips, I could probably cement my spot as the person with the most OCNA finds for some time to come. Currently, I'm 16 behind sfcchaz, who is at an even 100.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:07 pm

Gof, where are you placing all these bit caches? Granted I haven't looked yet but I would like to place a few and just can't figure out where to put them.

DG there are several good caches here in Charlotte along with a slew of new p and G s that you have been approving lately

Any strange spellings or choices of words are the fault of autocorrect

GOF

Post by GOF » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:42 pm

What I did was look up some of the local history. I found local sites that I thought were interesting but didn't think that containers would be appropriate. Then I looked for an unobtrusive place to affix a tag. For example, Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural National Historic Site - OU0411. This location is in the City of Buffalo. It is a local and national piece of history. I wanted to bring people to this location and highlight that history. But I didn't want people poking around in the bushes or something. It just seemed inappropriate. So I found a no parking sign by the curb out front and put the tag on that. It's right out in the open for everyone to see. But the nice thing about QR codes is people are used to them. They see 'em all the time. Nobody cares about them enough to bother with 'em. Unless, that is, it is why they are there. No film can holding a soggy log and nothing to attract the attention of the local bomb squad. Just a little something for a cacher to locate at an historic location. Sure, the hide isn't epic. But it isn't about the hide. It's about the location.

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:10 pm

I have already placed virtual caches at most of the historic sites around me.
So
Dudley grunt, does the 300 foot rule apply to bit vs virtual?

I'll look for more locations but ether just army that many around and no special natural locations come to mind in the area

Any strange spellings or choices of words are the fault of autocorrect

GOF

Post by GOF » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:01 pm

Yes, you could also post a virtual cache. But I like the idea of actually finding something and the ease of logging via the phone app or code word. Beats having to monitor emailed answers. But that is just my preference.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:38 pm

On a whole, we are often flexible with the 300' guideline. Imaging that. ;-)

Also, I am not as concerned with the distance between Virtuals / BITcaches and other (physical) types, since they won't be confused with each other. I wouldn't want to see OCNA virts or bits nearly on top of each other, though.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed May 02, 2012 8:59 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:You're quite welcome. My son is going to Philmont, NM with our scout troop in July for 2 weeks.

I'm thinking I might plan a couple 4 day weekends for caching road trips. One back to Western NY and one to Central NC. With those trips, I could probably cement my spot as the person with the most OCNA finds for some time to come. Currently, I'm 16 behind sfcchaz, who is at an even 100.
Well, SFC Chaz did come up here late last summer. But I think he only found about 10. We didn't have too many park-n-grab's back then. Heck, I'll bet there isn't a Borst OCUS cache that is less than a 3/4 mile round trip. I tell you what though, if you pull off these two trips, I'll bet you could be looking at almost 300 finds. You'd be the Alamogul of OCNA for sure.

So you're flexible on 300 feet, eh? I actually replaced a BIT I originally placed with a lame attachment method (I did in fact find it on the ground 15 feet away), and I moved it 150 feet to make room for a physical cache at a later date. I did notice a couple Gof Bit caches that were no way 300 feet apart, although probably 200.

And to stay on topic, yes, great job getting Gof's 30 Bit's published without any problems. And I threw out 1 just as he was publishing all his, and it was approved very quickly.
ImageImage