1,000 active, and 2,000 finds by the anniversary

General Information About Geocaching
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
1,000 active, and 2,000 finds by the anniversary

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:57 pm

What do you think, can we do it? The anniversary of the official public release of the website is August 18th, if I'm not mistaken. The hides, I'm almost positive we can pull off. The finds might be tough. But hey, I'll bet Dudley Grunt is gonna rack up about 50 finds in North Carolina next week. :lol:
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: 1,000 active, and 2,000 finds by the anniversary

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:53 am

50? I got 44 in WNY. I was starting to wonder if I might get 100 in NC! I'll see what I can do. If I can just stay home for a couple days, I'm going to try to get some more caches out around home, particularly flushing out my Laurel Walking Tour series.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:53 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:50? I got 44 in WNY. I was starting to wonder if I might get 100 in NC! I'll see what I can do. If I can just stay home for a couple days, I'm going to try to get some more caches out around home, particularly flushing out my Laurel Walking Tour series.
So whadya get? I'm guessing about 70? How was your event?
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:27 pm

Event was great. I got 56 caches over all and I think only 4 or so were GC caches. Not what I thought, but I worked one some caches that required hikes, not just the quick ones. I spent about 2 hours in one park and came away with one find and 3 DNF's.

I definitely want to get back to NY and NC, some time - maybe in a spring / fall. Though it could have been hotter in both places, it was definitely humid.

I know have 182 OCNA finds, well ensconced as the #1 finder, for now. In addition to working on my Laurel Walking Tour, I've also been inspired to bring the Water Tower Find series to Maryland. I hope to get a bunch out in the coming weeks.

Also attended a Band of Cachers event in SC with Scott / FreeKacher and Tab / Blaze132. Met a lot of great local cachers.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:49 am

Just since yesterday, I've submitted my first 3 WTF's. I try not to approve my own hides, so am just waiting for NativTxn to have a chance to review them.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:16 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:Event was great. I got 56 caches over all and I think only 4 or so were GC caches. Not what I thought, but I worked one some caches that required hikes, not just the quick ones. I spent about 2 hours in one park and came away with one find and 3 DNF's.

I definitely want to get back to NY and NC, some time - maybe in a spring / fall. Though it could have been hotter in both places, it was definitely humid.

I know have 182 OCNA finds, well ensconced as the #1 finder, for now. In addition to working on my Laurel Walking Tour, I've also been inspired to bring the Water Tower Find series to Maryland. I hope to get a bunch out in the coming weeks.

Also attended a Band of Cachers event in SC with Scott / FreeKacher and Tab / Blaze132. Met a lot of great local cachers.
Oh yes, I see a couple of your WTF Bits on the main page, and I finally know what a WTF Bit is now!! I might do some of them. But they're going to bushwack for BIT'S in the woods, I think. :lol:

Yep, you never seem to get as many as you think you can when you go to an area. I learned that long ago. The next time I come away from a road trip with more caches than I was expecting, will be the first. Oh, and I forgot you had enough time to get that event listed on GC.com, so I'm sure that increased attendance quite a bit. I had to pester people, otherwise we'd have had about 4 at the WNY event.

P.S. after posting, in your post and mine, the forum changes W T F to "What". When the 3 letters are together, I mean. See, I outsmarted it. :mrgreen:
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:42 pm

I just got rid of censorship setting.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:53 am

I think we're well on our way, especially for Hides. I just approved a bunch of new caches, last night. Once they've all be published by the CO's, we'll be at 981, but we have 15 other DRAFT BITcache submissions that aren't deployed or ready for review. If all those can be done in time, we'd only need 4 more new caches.

Finds are bit different. We're at 1881, so would need 119 finds by August 18 - 2+ weeks.

I will do my best to get all my nearby unfound OC caches - and maybe a few not so nearby. Hopefully, others will do the same.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:01 pm

I hope to add a few so maybe we will surpass the expected number.

You can see the impact of Dudleygrunts recent trips on the graph. A significant increase in the angle of accent

Any strange spellings or choices of words are the fault of autocorrect

tripman1

Post by tripman1 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:28 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote: "
I think we're well on our way, especially for Hides. I just approved a bunch of new caches, last night. Once they've all be published by the CO's, we'll be at 981, but we have 15 other DRAFT BITcache submissions that aren't deployed or ready for review. If all those can be done in time, we'd only need 4 more new caches.

Finds are bit different. We're at 1881, so would need 119 finds by August 18 - 2+ weeks.
It seems hides will make it, I hope we can make the finds. I have found just about all the ones within 100 mile radius (except the one on top of the 14,433' Mt. Evans summit) I tried some in California but it was difficult with only 1/4 found on a small sample. I am not counting the one on opencaching.de that is located in Anaheim, but I sent an email encouraging him to list it on the U.S. site.
ImageImage