Uploading my Geocaches into Opencaches

General Information About Geocaching
Team Tuxawuxa
Uploading my Geocaches into Opencaches

Post by Team Tuxawuxa » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:06 pm

I have seen a video about uploading geocaches on Opencaching.com but cannot log into that site. I can log into Opencaching.us but cannot find any links for uploading my geocaches.
Can it be done in O.us and what is the procedure, if so?

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Re: Uploading my Geocaches into Opencaches

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:27 pm

Team Tuxawuxa wrote:I have seen a video about uploading geocaches on Opencaching.com but cannot log into that site. I can log into Opencaching.us but cannot find any links for uploading my geocaches.
Can it be done in O.us and what is the procedure, if so?
No, you're going to have to do them manually, one at a time. I speak as someone who has cross-listed about 30 caches apiece on Navicache and GPSgames.org since 2004. No one came up with the zany idea of "uploading" your caches to another site until Opencaching.com came along in late 2010, and that is a very unique feature I doubt you'll ever see at another alternative Geocaching website.

If you have the Geocaching.com listing open, and copy and paste most of the information over, it goes kind of fast. Certainly much faster than the first time you sat there writing them up, and reading coordinates from your GPS, selecting your terrain and difficuly ratings, coming up with a hint, etc...
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:37 pm

[The following is what I started typing out, before I saw MrYuck's response.]

Welcome! Are you interested in moving your caches here or crosslisting them.

While we do allow crosslisting of caches, we do generally prefer unique cache hides. In that vein, we don't have the tools to upload caches in that manner.

Either way, I hope you'll consider listing some new caches, here. We do offer a variety of cache types that are not offered at other sites.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

chilehead

Post by chilehead » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:06 pm

Crosslisting is mostly pointless. When terracaching mostly prohibited cross listing, I thought it was stupid as it would prevent growth. Then Garmin came along to make cross listing easy, and I changed my mind. Yes, it does allow for growth of the site quickly, but it makes the site more irrelevant as nobody wants to sift through duplicate cache listings.

Alternative cache listing caches should be used for listing alternative caches.

GOF

Post by GOF » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:48 pm

chilehead wrote:Crosslisting is mostly pointless. When terracaching mostly prohibited cross listing, I thought it was stupid as it would prevent growth. Then Garmin came along to make cross listing easy, and I changed my mind. Yes, it does allow for growth of the site quickly, but it makes the site more irrelevant as nobody wants to sift through duplicate cache listings.

I remember when I was thought of as a lunatic for saying such things. Now days I am feeling rather vindicated on that position. Not that I am any less a lunatic. 8-)

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:43 am

chilehead wrote:Crosslisting is mostly pointless. When terracaching mostly prohibited cross listing, I thought it was stupid as it would prevent growth. Then Garmin came along to make cross listing easy, and I changed my mind. Yes, it does allow for growth of the site quickly, but it makes the site more irrelevant as nobody wants to sift through duplicate cache listings.

Oh gosh, how did I feel about Terracaching's no cross-list policy? I guess it was a good idea, especially with the whole "quality" thing going on. I saw very early on that Cross-listing was a bad idea compliments of Navicache. I didn't join for about 4 months into my career (Jan. 2004), but since the last 2 posters are local to me, I remember the already archived on GC.com and long gone caches by an early pioneer of the game in Akron, NY were still listed on there. And as time went on, it just got worse and worse, with the "long gone" caches still listed there. I also had to pester Admin to no end to get rid of the "Buffalo Olmsted Park Series", by a married couple who moved to Michigan in 2003, and slowly let them die. And I just totally disagreed with the previous Navicache Admin's, "Let me email the owner, and make sure they're not listing it here only" thing. And if the CO didn't answer his email, nothing happened!

I've cross-listed at least 30 apiece on GPSgames.org and Navicache. But they needed the content!! Garmin doesn't need the content, not the way they're going about it with this whole upload your caches thing.
ImageImage

Lala55

Post by Lala55 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:40 pm

OpenCaching is a official geocaching app, with app you get full rights. You can easily hide, log and share caches from iPhone.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu May 23, 2013 8:49 am

Lala55 wrote:OpenCaching is a official geocaching app, with app you get full rights. You can easily hide, log and share caches from iPhone.
Actually, I think Lala55 has the wrong Opencaching, and is talking about the app for the Garmin Opencaching site.
ImageImage