A dumbass comes to Maryland, hon.

Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia

Moderator:glorkar

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
A dumbass comes to Maryland, hon.

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:50 pm

So during Spring break, I'm taking 14 yr. old Yuck Jr. and his 14 yr. old cousin to Virginia Beach. Here's my itinerary, not that anyone cares. I will be leaving (probably frigid) Buffalo, N.Y. Saturday morning, April 12th. I will drive to McGuire Air Force Base, New Jersey that day. It's a 7.5 hour drive, so I have absolutely no caching plans, other than two OCUS virtuals in Philadelphia, and possibly an OCUS webcam across the river in New Jersey. Then on Sunday the 13th, we will cut through Delaware and the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel complex (which sounds awesome) into Virginia Beach. There we will be staying at Fort Story, Virginia. (Yes, I'm a retired Army Reservist, and a cheapskate, I take advantage of my retired Military ID). :mrgreen: We will be at Fort Story Sunday night, April 13th through Wednesday night, April 16th. By the way, if DG or anyone wants to take a day off of work in the middle of the week to go caching with me in or near Virginia Beach, I'm OK with it.

Then on Thursday morning, April 17th, we will depart Virginia Beach, and spend 3-4 hours in Washington, D.C. (which both of the kids have never been to). We will then proceed to the Super 8 Motel in Hagerstown, Md. for the night (don't laugh, it has 4 stars on Tripadvisor.com; and if you can get 4 stars on that website full of whiners, then you must be good. :D)

OK, so if I were to host an "alternative site only" event in Hagerstown, MD on Thursday, April 17th at some random bar or restaraunt, would any of you Baltimore area people attend? And I suppose I could make it 25 miles closer to you in Frederick, that shouldn't be a problem.
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: A dumbass comes to Maryland, hon.

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:02 am

Ha! Not sure that I'll be able to make it to VA Beach. That's a good 4 hours from home. Hagerstown is an hour plus from home, but I would plan to come out for an event if you did it. It's a little bit of a hike on a weeknight for most of the local alt cachers that I know of, but Frederick would be a bit better.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:08 pm

Do we have any suggestions for a venue in Frederick?

Should I actually call it A dumbass comes to Maryland, hon? It will show up on the main page of our site for 2+months. A Yuck comes to Maryland, hon? A New Yawker comes to Maryland, hon?
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:55 pm

How about "Yuck Come to Maryland, Hon"? Of course, the hon thing is largely a Baltimore thing, but the allusion to my NativTxn and Dave DeBear events is nice.

May "A New Yawker Comes..." Didn't you use "New Yawker" for an event you did in OH or somewhere?

The events I did in WNY and NC were simply "Dudley Comes to _____".

I can see if anyone has a decent suggestion for a Frederick event site. I'm not super familiar with the local eateries. Would you like a place that servers beer and such?
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:16 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:How about "Yuck Come to Maryland, Hon"? Of course, the hon thing is largely a Baltimore thing, but the allusion to my NativTxn and Dave DeBear events is nice.

May "A New Yawker Comes..." Didn't you use "New Yawker" for an event you did in OH or somewhere?

I can see if anyone has a decent suggestion for a Frederick event site. I'm not super familiar with the local eateries. Would you like a place that servers beer and such?
Yeah, I had "The New Yawkers invade Toledo" when 6 of us went to a Buffalo at Toledo AAA Baseball game while in town for Midwest Geobash. But no locals met us at the game.

Beer not necessary, It will be a 50 mile round trip for me, plus two 14 yr. olds with me. Doesn't mean a place with beer wouldn't work, and I could have one or two.

This place sounds amazing, and has 4.7 out of 5 stars on Google with 24 reviews. However, 1) it may not be the sit down and stay for an hour or more type of place for a Geocaching event, and 2) if they are only open until 8 in mid-April, with the kitchen closing at 7:30, it will never work. I might not want to have the event until 8. So yeah, check with some people you know for sure!
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:08 pm

Mr.Yuck wrote:
DudleyGrunt wrote:How about "Yuck Come to Maryland, Hon"? Of course, the hon thing is largely a Baltimore thing, but the allusion to my NativTxn and Dave DeBear events is nice.

Yeah, I had "The New Yawkers invade Toledo" when 6 of us went to a Buffalo at Toledo AAA Baseball game while in town for Midwest Geobash. But no locals met us at the game.

Beer not necessary, It will be a 50 mile round trip for me, plus two 14 yr. olds with me. Doesn't mean a place with beer wouldn't work, and I could have one or two.

This place sounds amazing, and has 4.7 out of 5 stars on Google with 24 reviews. However, 1) it may not be the sit down and stay for an hour or more type of place for a Geocaching event, and 2) if they are only open until 8 in mid-April, with the kitchen closing at 7:30, it will never work. I might not want to have the event until 8. So yeah, check with some people you know for sure!
I've since also read the Trip Advisor reviews about that place. Everyone loves it there too, but there are several references to it being a take out place only, with a bunch of outdoor picnic tables. Too chancy for Mid-April weather wise. If it rains, the event is screwed.

There's a couple Five Guys in Frederick. Would that be too lame of a venue for an event? I know the two 14 yr. olds with me would love to go there for dinner. :D There certainly wouldn't be more than 5 Geocachers there, not counting kids. Don't know if you'd bring Jr. Nimrod, DG.
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:57 pm

I have had and attended an event at a Five Guys. The one in Frederick is the one I attended an event at. Its not very big, but since it'll be an "alt only" event, you're right, there won't be too many people. It's in a good spot, too along their "canal". There is an outdoor seating option, in case its nice.

I doubt Nathan would go out with me and I'd probably go straight from work and not go by home, anyway.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:13 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:I have had and attended an event at a Five Guys. The one in Frederick is the one I attended an event at. Its not very big, but since it'll be an "alt only" event, you're right, there won't be too many people. It's in a good spot, too along their "canal". There is an outdoor seating option, in case its nice.

I doubt Nathan would go out with me and I'd probably go straight from work and not go by home, anyway.
Sorry, I did not know Nathan's real name. I almost forgot this was a "public" thread. For anyone reading, he really does go as Jr. Nimrod in the Geocaching world. :mrgreen:

Five Guy's it is!!! But I was thinking somewhat late, 8:00. And remember, it's a Thursday. Of course you could always cache around town if you come right from work. Sunset for Frederick Maryland on Thursday, April 17th is 7:48 PM. And yes, I did look that up.
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:42 pm

Are we sure this is the place you're talking about? It's not really downtown. Map
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:34 pm

They may have closed the location I was remembering. It was along the canal HERE.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image