Is this site for real or is it a joke

About the Opencaching Site
Sabrefan7
Re: Is this site for real or is it a joke

Post by Sabrefan7 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:16 am

Others had said they had problems with the log in. I have never had a single issue with the forum site or the Caching site

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:45 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:So far, I've not heard anything back from her.
But to officially answer the original question, "It is for real."
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Badwolf1197

Post by Badwolf1197 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:59 pm

I have heard that OpenCaching US allows a variety of different types of caches. I might be missing it, but is there a link that describes the different caches? I don't see anything on the home page , but I may have missed the descriptions or links as I scanned the wiki pages. Might be interesting if I can find out more info.

Maybe I am looking in the wrong places. I guess I am looking for a link that says "cache types" on the homepage or wiki page.

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:04 pm

I'm sure there is a better link some place but this works for some of the unique ones

http://wiki.opencaching.us/index.php/Special:AllPages

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S via Tapatalk

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:17 pm

Let's see if I can name them all...
traditional
Multi
Quiz (Mystery / puzzle)
Virtual
Moving
BIT (scan a code to log, not required)
Guestbook (sign an existing guest book)
Dead drop (plug into a USB)

Not an official type but allowed:
Ethercache (location based phone app)

What did I miss?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S via Tapatalk
Last edited by TermiteHunter on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:17 pm

I went to the hide a cache form and clicked the drop box for cache type.
There is of course no explanation for them here but these are the ones I missed.

Event
Webcam
MP3 (podcache)
Letterbox

The wiki does need to be updated with details for each of the cache types. (I know...another for THE LIST)
Last edited by TermiteHunter on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:08 am

From the main wiki page, you can go to / search Parameters and get details on types and a variety of various aspects of a cache listing, including....

1 Basic infomation
1.1 Cache name
1.2 Cache size
1.3 Cache type
1.4 Coordinates
1.5 Country
1.6 Difficulty level
1.7 Time and distance to travel

2 Cache attributes

3 Description
3.1 Short description
3.2 Full description
3.3 Additional information
3.4 Additional waypoints

4 Other
4.1 Date hidden
4.2 Publish
4.3 Log password
4.4 Images
4.5 MP3 files
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Badwolf1197

Post by Badwolf1197 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:53 pm

WOW...Thanks for the information. I don't think I would ever have thought to go to the wiki and search "parameters" and then scroll down and find "cache type". Seems harder to find that information than to find some of the caches, lol.

I had tried searching "cache type" on the wiki and got a bunch of pages that honestly I didn't feel like sifting through. I had also found some information looking at your TOS page. I didn't go to "hide a cache" page because I actually wanted information on the types of caches...I was not trying to "hide a cache".

I came here to try OS.us because of these different cache types that I have heard about on various podcasts. Personally, I think your cache variety and potential hider creativity is your strong suit. It might help to advertise this asset prominently on your main page so it does not get missed.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:35 am

TermiteHunter wrote:I went to the hide a cache form and clicked the drop box for cache type.
There is of course no explanation for them here but these are the ones I missed.

Event
Webcam
MP3 (podcache)
Letterbox

The wiki does need to be updated with details for each of the cache types. (I know...another for THE LIST)
And some icons too. Actually, I just got wiki access a couple days ago!! The only two people who EVER had wiki access were RvRoadTrip (the founder of the site), and a user named ijeep. Although Ijeep did respond to my request that the wiki needed serious updating, I haven't heard from him in like a month. But now we can do it.

By the way, that limited access doesn't really fit the definition of a wiki, now does it? :mrgreen:
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:21 pm

Wow, It's all there.
That is really buried in there and well hidden. I never would have thought to try that.
Maybe the addition of some links or restructuring from the main page would make that much easier to find.

The various cache types should be a bigger draw than it is.
The usual excuses from cachers still apply though.
1 There are more than I will ever find on GC so why add another site
2 I don't want to keep up with another site
3 There aren't any / many around me

Can't do much about #1 but encourage them to try some of the unique caches on the site
#2 usually has to do with their find count and going to different sites to load their GPS or use another app on their phone
For #3 there are only as many caches in an area as participants are willing to place. I have tried populating my area with a number of P&G caches with the express purpose of eliminating this reason. They are a little different than the typical GC P&G but once you have found a couple it becomes much the same for the rest.

I have used some of the unique cache types in hopes of creating interest but even that is difficult.
Not many are willing to plug into a USB out of fear of a virus
The Virtuals do get some play but only from those willing to forget about #1 and #2
Moving caches get a lot of interest when an old GC moving cache comes to town but not so much on OCus
BITs do pretty well especially from Munzee players

You have to just keep plugging along dropping some caches along the way to get that number available up and the variety helps to peak interest.
Just don't expect a lot of finds until you get a few other cachers involved.