Promoting OpenCaching US

About the Opencaching Site
Pilerman
Re: Promoting OpenCaching US

Post by Pilerman » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:49 am

I'm here to tell you, it IS about the numbers but NOT the number of caches listed here, no! It's the number of finds they have at the other sites. To come here they are looking at a complete start over. I may go ahead with the stat pic thing but its not very flattering "0 Finds / 3 Hides". The first number is what the problem is. You've got to figure out a way to attract them here. Someone needs to figure out how to duplicate their number of finds. I'm not saying that it would need to be constantly updated as they continue to find caches on other sites, no. Offer a one time match. Let them choose what site they wish to have it duplicated from. For example, I'm easy, gc.com is the only site I've been on since 2003. "I choose to have my cache find count of 1,111 cloned from gc.com". Bam! Done deal. Now they have just as many caches finds here as they have cache finds there and now they aren't starting over but instead going with a better listing service. If they continue to increase the number of finds on the site they requested to be cloned, thats fine but it should not be updated again here. The clone should be a one time deal.
Another thing that I haven't figured out completely is the geogretxky (spelling error) thing. I'm at a loss with that! If I understand it correctly, it's a total other site which doesn't have any automatic functioning with this site? You can't retrieve and/or place a bug directly from here? The bugs aren't directly associated with this site? Hmmm... Can you tell I need to do more reading up on them, LOL? Anyway, the whole point was the functionality with this site and the caches listed here. TB's are a big part of the game for some just like the # of finds is for others.
Sorry about any typos here as I didn't do any spell checking or proof reading, I'm going to hit the sack.

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:45 am

I agree with your first point, that folks dont want to start over with a zero. That has been brought up in the 2 NY boards I am active on. I truly think that for this site to be successful then it must be unique from GC. Some people use all their stat banners as a sig line now. Maybe some one who knows code could some how make one that combines ALL your finds from multiple sites?

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:30 am

That is one aspect that may slow interest in the site. Perhaps a combined total of finds would be appreciated by some.

I have asked on my local forum, the reason for reluctance to use the site. The most common answer has been " There are more caches listed on GC than I will ever be able to find" and a sense of loyalty to the site they started with. I live in a cache dense city and even with a reasonable number of caches available listed on OC (about 16) of the various types permitted, traditional, moving and virtual, very few have taken the time to find any of them. Even caches with ties to GC caches ( one requires finding 4 GC caches for a code to log the final on OCUS, another moving cache released as commemoration on the 10th anniversary of the oldest North Carolina cache which originally was a moving cache) and those being hidden by well respected hiders in the area are ignored as they have plenty to yet find on GC and don't want to bother with another site. I have encouraged a one time download of all the OC caches in town so they will be available when they are out but that too seems to have been set aside. Only positive comments have been left in the forum regarding the OC caches that have been found and those few that participate routinely announce FTF's in the forum. It has come down to essentially 2 cachers hiding and finding with an occasional find by 1 or 2 others in an area with hundreds of active new and long time cachers.

In the case of my local area it IS the shear numbers of hides that is the hurdle to be overcome. I'm not so sure that having a higher finds count on a banner is going to make any real difference. That will not drive people to the site to be able to add a handfull of caches to their already full GPS memory loaded from a single source.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:20 pm

I'd love to have a third party site that would allow you to both develop stats based on your total finds between multiple sites AND perhaps even create a combined stat banner. At one point, I was even hoping that perhaps this was what Garmin was planning.

However, would I do believe the stat banner from any individual site should only reflect the finds / hides on that site.

So far, I've found 11 OCUS caches, including all the ones in MD and have 9 caches in DC and No. VA to find to have everything within 100 miles. Personally, I'd rather spend the day getting those 9 and, than finding twice that on gc.com. Those 9 OCUS caches would be more special for me than any 9 (or 18) random caches from Groundspeak.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

zstatman

Post by zstatman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:17 pm

I am new to OC caching so do be patient and consider my opinion that it is a complete waste of time comparing sites, caches and/or members of other cache-related sites. This would be a never ending road that offers no solution other than offending and argument. This topic type took place on both geocaching.com and terracaching.com and neither came out in a positive light - Lets not waste the time and effort!

I enjoy caching, enjoy the challenge some cache site caches offer over others and more so simply enjoy getting out doors!

FWIW

ZStatman
Montana 650
Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro Phone
"It is all in the search!"
Florida, USA

=========================================
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt (anonymous)

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:30 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:Personally, I'd rather spend the day getting those 9 and, than finding twice that on gc.com. Those 9 OCUS caches would be more special for me than any 9 (or 18) random caches from Groundspeak.
To clarify, I simply mean that becaue finding the 9 OCUS caches in the MD/DC/VA area that I have left to find would be a more significant milestone / accomplishment since that would involve having found ALL the OCUS caches in the area. I definitely was not trying to denigrate the gc.com hides. We have some awesome cachers in this are, regardless of which site they choose to list their caches on.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:43 am

I am just trying to find ways to combat a general reluctance of cachers to even look into the site and seek caches.
I have tried discussion on local forums regarding positive aspects of OCUS, linking caches with GC caches, personal discussion, listing listing OC cache links, leaving cards with OCUS information, placing OCUS only caches in my area and a few others.

Suggestions of tactics to bring cachers out would be appreciated.

Pilerman

Post by Pilerman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:24 am

The first thing I noticed at the oc.com site (I have no idea how it caught my eye the way it did), "Import your finds and hides"
Interesting, isn't that what I said and how many days ago, LOL!
Hmmm...has anybody explored that link to see what it does 'import'?

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:37 am

I noiced that. Made me wonder if you were a Garmin insider. :D

I experimented with trying to upload my TC finds, just to see what I might be able to do with them, but it failed.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Pilerman

Post by Pilerman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:21 am

DudleyGrunt wrote:I noticed that. Made me wonder if you were a Garmin insider. :D
Nope, sorry to disapoint, I'm just a nobody.