Posting a link in your cache log

About the Opencaching Site
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Posting a link in your cache log

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sat May 09, 2015 3:13 pm

log.jpg
log.jpg (31.39KiB)Viewed 7160 times
Let me begin by saying I'm not dissing anyone. :lol: But with our new challenge caches, a lot of users need to post links. People say we don't have the bells and whistles that Big Green has, but here's something we have they don't even come close to providing.

When you go to post a log on this website, you are, by default, taken to our "editor". You see you also have a choice of going into HTML, or text. Just stay in the editor for our purposes today. And of course I'm assuming logs posted from a computer or tablet, I think we get very few smartphone logs around here, especially for the challenges.

So say you're logging a challenge cache, and you want to provide a link to 6 caches (as I did in this case). type in the url in http://coord/ch/ouxxxx format, or even the name of the cache in your log. Highlight it with your mouse. Then the little link button in the toolbar of the editor will become active. You can't miss it, it looks like a chain (as in chain link) next to it is an unlink button, but don't even think about that one. So you click this chain button, and you'll get a pop up prompting you for the URL you want to link to. Enter the URL, and I highly recommend choosing "open in a new window" under the Target button. Hit the insert button, and you're good to go.

Sounds harder than this explanation makes it sound, give it a try. See my image on top of the post, for what the pop up looks like. In this example, if you look closely, you'll see I entered the name of the Pennsylvania qualifying cache, highlighted it, hit the link button in the toolbar, and I'm typing in the link to that cache in coord.ch format.
ImageImage

Memfis Mafia

Re: Posting a link in your cache log

Post by Memfis Mafia » Mon May 18, 2015 11:37 am

I'm new but the ability to embed HTML is definitely something I like about Opencaching.us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk