Benchmark cache type

About the Opencaching Site
Bon Echo
Site Admin
Re: Benchmark cache type

Post by Bon Echo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:18 pm

I can feel the momentum rolling. Yeah!
I agree that a benchmark is a benchmark if it is listed on any of the online databases.
To be honest, I'm not too familiar with the US system for benchmarks. I know there are several agencies but don;t know if they all the info is online.
And at that, I would also say that any marker that is clearly marked and obviously a benchmark should be okay, even if it is not on any online database. I've found a few brass disks that stated they were benchmarks but didn't have a unique ID number stamped on them or they did but weren't listed in any database. Examples:
International Boundary Commission disk in Niagara Falls ON, without a number:
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMR3 ... gara_Falls
Here's one without a number but I was able to locate a database entry for it;
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMKN ... amilton_ON

When I have some more time I will work on a list of all database links for benchmarks in USA and Canada. It can be added to the wiki maybe? Some of the ones listed on waymarking are no longer at that URL.

To be honest though, I'm not a big fan of benchmarks that you can only see from a distance - tops of water towers, fire towers, domes, electric towers, or even the top of General Brock's hat!:
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMBZ ... eights_Ont
fire tower:
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMEZ ... te_Park_NY

EDITED TO ADD:
No matter how it is rolled out, it will always be accused by someone as being too much like Waymarking. It's impossible to not be similar. Same can be said for Guestbook caches, Webcam caches, and virtual caches. I've never heard of anyone avoiding one of the few remaining groundspeak webcacm caches because they can also be listed on waymarking.com. It's absurd. There will be a number of clear advantages to using OCNA over waymarking or groundspeaks benchmark site for benchmark hunting. Chiefly, the ability to download and view all listed BenchMarks as a gpx file and the ability to view those locations on a map concurrently with caches.

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:14 pm

No matter how it is rolled out, it will always be accused by someone as being too much like Waymarking. It's impossible to not be similar
and there will be the comments that it is not as good as Waymarking because we left something out or allow something that the commenter feels should not qualify.

They want us to be our own and unique yet will complain that we did something differently.

All is to be expected. We will end up with something that is indeed similar yet restricted by our own desires and abilities to incorporate elements given that we are a non-profit org. with limited resources to draw on. I'm not a big Benchmark hunter either though I did go through a short phase of hunting the few listed nearby. I would also agree that I am not a fan of those that could not be directly accessed as mentioned by BE. I have done a few BMs that were listed on GC and found it interesting but less intriqueing given that even on Waymarking there are about 6 within 25 miles of my location listed (not unlike those that first explore OCNA in a less than active area). Hard to believe that that is all there are nearby. In fact I am aware of one that is used in a GC geocache multi that I did not find on the Waymarking site. I expect to be able to add a few of my own as I run across them and recall where I have seen a few that may fit into our database.

As far as MrYucks request to expand on what I had posted earlier, I'm not sure that I can beyond The initial finder completing a submission not unlike our current cache submission but taylored to the benchmark class including needed information such as coordinates, type of marker, possible governing body. ID etc. The only difference of significance would be that the initial finder doesn't own it and would then be able to log it. If we could have each listed as "owned" by a non-existant site administered "lister" like OCNA Challenge Caches, We (OCNA) would be able to change and adjust information as needed, eliminate a loss of the data through archival or member alteration, allow for initial finder logging etc. The Initial finder would still do all the listing actions including perhaps an abbreviated "discription" section then go through the standard approval process but once submitted/approved would be unable to access the listing to alter it without going through OCNA Admin. to accomplish it.

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:27 am

Bon Echo wrote:There will be a number of clear advantages to using OCNA over waymarking or groundspeaks benchmark site for benchmark hunting. Chiefly, the ability to download and view all listed BenchMarks as a gpx file and the ability to view those locations on a map concurrently with caches.
Well, as a Waymarking Benchmarker OCNA needs something to offer the players here, be that we list or seek here.

As for how I play, I use an Android with several apps. For Waymarking I use chilihead's app, it is buggy, but still useful to me. I can already see WM's and BM's on my maps.

Likely I will be using c:geo for OCNA listings. I really have no use for PQ's, I select store caches for offline use.

I think there a few ways and several sites to play Benchmarking on, and as a Waymarker....... Well I remember someone here once called it stupid and told me to forget about it. :lol:
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Bon Echo
Site Admin

Post by Bon Echo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:19 pm

Manville Possum Hunters wrote:
Well, as a Waymarking Benchmarker OCNA needs something to offer the players here, be that we list or seek here.
That's what I said:
Bon Echo wrote:There will be a number of clear advantages to using OCNA over waymarking or groundspeaks benchmark site for benchmark hunting. Chiefly, the ability to download and view all listed BenchMarks as a gpx file and the ability to view those locations on a map concurrently with caches.
But if you have other ideas, please let us hear them
Manville Possum Hunters wrote: As for how I play, I use an Android with several apps. For Waymarking I use chilihead's app, it is buggy, but still useful to me. I can already see WM's and BM's on my maps.

Likely I will be using c:geo for OCNA listings. I really have no use for PQ's, I select store caches for offline use.
Exactly. Currently you cannot use c:geo to display or save benchmarks that are listed on waymarking or geocaching.com. But you will be able to use c:geo to show OCNA-listed benchmarks and opencaches and geocaches and terracaches all at the same time. No need for multiple apps. chiliheads app is buggy and required a data connection, I don't have one. But even then, you see ALL nearby waymarks. No way (afaik) to filter by category. So you see one benchmark for every dozen fast food restaurants, your favorite type of waymark :?

Manville Possum Hunters wrote:I think there a few ways and several sites to play Benchmarking on
Only two that I know of, and I did search for something better about a year ago.

Manville Possum Hunters wrote:and as a Waymarker....... Well I remember someone here once called it stupid and told me to forget about it. :lol:
Ignore that advice. If you enjoy Waymarking, then Waymark. Looking at your Waymarking profile, clearly you ignored them :D
Last edited by Bon Echo on Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:17 pm

All seems to be well as long as the listings I create and ask to be published are my listings and not that I just get credit for listing them on OCNA. ;)

I'm working on some ideas as a draft now, and no TH. That is not really the title of my new listing, but ain't it though? :D
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:28 pm

TermiteHunter wrote:
No matter how it is rolled out, it will always be accused by someone as being too much like Waymarking. It's impossible to not be similar
As far as MrYucks request to expand on what I had posted earlier, I'm not sure that I can beyond The initial finder completing a submission not unlike our current cache submission but taylored to the benchmark class including needed information such as coordinates, type of marker, possible governing body. ID etc. The only difference of significance would be that the initial finder doesn't own it and would then be able to log it. If we could have each listed as "owned" by a non-existant site administered "lister" like OCNA Challenge Caches, We (OCNA) would be able to change and adjust information as needed, eliminate a loss of the data through archival or member alteration, allow for initial finder logging etc. The Initial finder would still do all the listing actions including perhaps an abbreviated "discription" section then go through the standard approval process but once submitted/approved would be unable to access the listing to alter it without going through OCNA Admin. to accomplish it.
I like this! A Benchmark specific submission form can be done. It probably couldn't be done with my skills, but I'm quite certain it can with our excellent, but very cheap free lancer. How do our two other major non admin commenters in this thread feel about the original submitter not really "owning" the submission after it's approved?
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:55 pm

I'm not tied to the OCNA Benchmark ownership thing. I was just riffing off Bon Echos comment in comparison to MPHs and coming up with something that might fit both concepts. I do see a few benefits of it.

It appears MPH wants to stake a claim on those he submits while BE wouldn't mind relinquishing control

And i have no idea what MPH is talking about in the title comment. I don't recall saying anything about the title of any listing. ...did I?

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:51 pm

Mr.Yuck wrote: How do our two other major non admin commenters in this thread feel about the original submitter not really "owning" the submission after it's approved?
I would not be interested.

I'll stick to Waymarking them.
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:58 pm

TermiteHunter wrote: And i have no idea what MPH is talking about in the title comment. I don't recall saying anything about the title of any listing. ...did I?
No, but I'm not really going to call it a big butt radar thingy. But it really is a big butt radar thingy. Seems the photo looks good but something wrong with the text. Anyway, it's work in progress. ;)
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:25 pm

Manville Possum Hunters wrote:
TermiteHunter wrote: And i have no idea what MPH is talking about in the title comment. I don't recall saying anything about the title of any listing. ...did I?
No, but I'm not really going to call it a big butt radar thingy. But it really is a big butt radar thingy. Seems the photo looks good but something wrong with the text. Anyway, it's work in progress. ;)

I see it now