Benchmark cache type

About the Opencaching Site
KnowsOpie
Re: Benchmark cache type

Post by KnowsOpie » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:56 pm

To me, a Benchmark has the word Benchmark written on them. There are towers, azimuth markers, survey disks, nails, rocks, all kinds of interesting markers.

Why not create a review group for a cache type here? Peer review didn't work on Garmin's site.
You seem to have carried a grudge against me here from the Waymarking site, and you volunteer to be a BM reviewer here so the rest of us have to meet your standards?

No thanks. I would rather list my caches here without having to meet your approval.
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:53 pm

Here is one of my latest BM's that I came upon by accident. http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMRZ ... _County_KY

IDK, maybe the new BM caches here will be just like Waymarking. I do want the option to list them my way and not go out and do all the work then hand them over for someone else to research. That would only be an assisted Waymark.
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:47 pm

Maybe we also need a different name. It sounds like we intend to be including the multitude of benchmarks and other survey markers in this catagory. I'm sure there will be those that object to calling each of these items a benchmark.

I don't know enough about benchmarks to know what all would be needed in a listing but surely it wouldn't be all that different from the standard geo listing. Whether the member or an OCNA admin / form fillerouter does it the same amount of work would be needed to create the form to be filled out.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:53 pm

That last past was written in anticipation of MPH s post that appeared before i finished typing.

Im more inclined to accept the broader range of ideas for what will fit in this un-named catagory at the known risk of alienating those that don't agree therefore the need for a new name if that is the route we are to take

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:07 pm

Hey MPH do you have an example that you can link for us of a listing you do NOT approve of (other than an OCNA listing) and point of exactly what you find wrong with it.

Looking at the listing of your latest i can get am idea of what you expect but not being involved in benchmarking i don't follow what all those entry points mean or why they are there. You can explain that as well.

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:18 pm

TermiteHunter wrote:
I don't know enough about benchmarks to know what all would be needed in a listing but surely it wouldn't be all that different from the standard geo listing.
Maybe it would be a good idea to learn more on the subject of Benchmarking and take a closer look at how they are Waymarked. Keep in mind that this is only new to OCNA, and I feel that something else may be needed to get people interested in listing them here.

When I'm Benchmarking I look at the BM's PID and go seek them out. When Waymarking them, it's mostly BM's that I find by accident. A standard geocache listing only needs accurate coordinates and a dry piece of paper.

Calling them a cache type seems silly to me. It's called Benchmarking, and I have found 33 of them on the BM site. :oops:

Waymarking them is simple, there is a form to fill out. I don't know that I could find one that I would not approve of, we all use the same form. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a look there and see how they are submitted?
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:49 pm

Thought you might give some insight prior to exploring the subject. Terms used like
PID, Benchmarking vs Waymarking, (i guess that is looking for them vs listing them) special catagory (s) etc.

We are a geocaching site that includes other geo-location based activities that we may call cache types for convenience. No need to take it so literally.

I don't expect we will be duplicating what GC once had or what waymarking / benchmarking (see still confused after reading your post) does but they will be similar in some respects just because there is only so much information there to be used. This may not end up being purely what you would call benchmarking should we include markers that are not necessarily called BMs

Sounds like you are trashing geocaching compared to Benchmarking with the Good coordinates and a dry piece of paper comment. Why was that comment needed? From those BMs that i found on GC in the past all i needed was good coordinates and a piece of metal in the dirt. Apparently the coordinates are optional if you find them by accident so all that is needed is the piece of metal n the dirt. (See how that sounds from the other side? )

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:26 pm

No, not trashing geocaching. Really, good coordinates and a dry log in a nice container big enough for a TB is a nice geocache. Look at this one. https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6 ... d8034028cd :D

Take a look at how Benchmarks are submitted in the US Benchmarks category on the WM site, it may be good information for you.

I once thought about a WIG cache that used BM's as a zone, kinda like the intercaches. Those are interesting concepts, only being able to log a cache within a zone without spoofing coordinates. :P
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:01 am

Manville Possum Hunters wrote:No, not trashing geocaching. Really, good coordinates and a dry log in a nice container big enough for a TB is a nice geocache. Look at this one. https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6 ... d8034028cd :D

Take a look at how Benchmarks are submitted in the US Benchmarks category on the WM site, it may be good information for you.

I once thought about a WIG cache that used BM's as a zone, kinda like the intercaches. Those are interesting concepts, only being able to log a cache within a zone without spoofing coordinates. :P
Per the bold, I agree with MPH. Here is the "Description" of the U.S. Benchmark category on Waymarking. I pulled the link from the extended description, I assume that's what you'll see.If not, click the show more link.

Although that category is primarily for discs, I do tend to agree we should allow (and the following is a quote from the long description): "non-disk types will be allowed if they are listed in an online database of benchmarks (such as on Geocaching.com) and include objects such as lookout towers, nails, bolts, spires, chiseled squares, etc."

And yes MPH, don't take the fact that we call it a "cache type" so literally. It's a table in the database, where else are we going to put them? :lol:
ImageImage

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:39 am

Mr.Yuck wrote:Here[/url] is the "Description" of the U.S. Benchmark category on Waymarking. I pulled the link from the extended description, I assume that's what you'll see.If not, click the show more link.
I looked at the Canadian Benchmarks category and it looks good also. http://www.waymarking.com/wm/add.aspx?f ... b77f235c49
Look at those links like you were going to post a new WM, it has useful information for Benchmarking.

Benchmarking is quite popular, even more so than Waymarking them and both categories have quite a few members, but they may be inactive.

And I agree, it's a BM if it's listed in the NGS or other database. https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/datasheets/

Here is another look at Benchmarking. https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/GPSonBM/
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd