Do you plan on cross listing?

About the Opencaching Site
glorkar
Do you plan on cross listing?

Post by glorkar » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:18 pm

For those that have caches listed on other sites, do you plan on cross listing them here? I've only hidden 7 so far, so I think I may put them up on OC too. Just wondering what everybody else was thinking about doing.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

idratherbeinthewoods

Re: Do you plan on cross listing?

Post by idratherbeinthewoods » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:40 pm

I won't be cross listing.
I've got a ton of caches listed at Terracaching.com and will archive several and relist them here.
Plans for new ones are in the works, and will also list here.
I'll See You On The Darkside Of The Moon
My caches are not cross listed on any other site

Amberel

Post by Amberel » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:49 am

glorkar wrote:For those that have caches listed on other sites, do you plan on cross listing them here? I've only hidden 7 so far, so I think I may put them up on OC too. Just wondering what everybody else was thinking about doing.
First of all, I'd like to welcome to the US OpenCaching site to the OpenCaching community. I'm an enthusiastic UK OpenCacher, and top of the UK "found it" leaderboard :D .

In the UK we permit cross-listing, but discourage it. We found early on that it didn't add anything to OpenCaching and just proved to be a nuisance. It's no incentive for someone on another site to start OpenCaching if it doesn't offer any caches that can't already be found on those other sites. And if you use multiple sites it means multiple logging of finds, which frankly is just a drag.

To really succeed, OpenCaching needs caches that are listed on OpenCaching and nowhere else. And it needs those caches to be good caches. In the UK, the average quality of OpenCaches currently is much higher than for Groundspeak caches. This is not because the best caches are better, but because at the moment we don't have large numbers of poor quality caches, which regrettably Groundspeak now has. I'm hoping we can avoid the "numbers" ethos and keep it that way in the long term.

I think this "quality" ethos is worth working on. When I describe caching to friends I say how it takes me on great walks to great places, with great views. I say how it keeps me fit. I describe some of the fun extreme caches I've done. I tell them about caches full of interesting swaps. When I visit a cache I compare it to this description. If I find the cache to be wet and mouldy, or it turns out to be a micro in ivy, or a keysafe slapped behind a bit of street furniture in a nondescript suburban street, or if it's situated in an area with loads of rubbish around, or next to a busy main road, I ask myself if this fits with my description of caching.

Looking forward to finding some US OpenCaches on my next visit (though I don't know when that will be), and good luck in your venture.

Rgds, Andy

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:23 am

I have just crosslisted one virtual from Navicache, but won't be crosslisting my Groundspeak or TerraCaching hides. First, TerraCaching frowns on it (except for events) and I agree with the general idea of wanting the caches here to be unique.

I do, however, VERY much like the fact that there are fields to fill out if the cache is listed on Groundspeak or GPSGames. Hopefully, Navicache and TerraCaching (for events) will be added soon. I'd also like to see TerraCaching added to the "Find geocaches on..." option.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:28 am

Many users do not pay for premium membership at Groundspeak so can only pull cache data one at a time (very tedious and annoying). We would hope that you would list all your caches here so users can access all of the cache data at once.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:53 am

Another problem I've seen with crosslisting on Navicahe has been caches from GC.com that were crosslisted on NC, then forgotten about by their owners. Too often, when the cache eventually gets archived on GC.com, the NC listing is left orphaned. This is why I've ended up looking for very few physical Navicaches.

This seems to be partially addressed on Opencaching by the ability to list what other sites the cache is on, assuming people use the option and additional sites can eventually be added.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:31 pm

The system here automatically monitors caches and after repeated DNFs or 6 months of inactivity, it starts sending notices to the owner to verify the cache. If the owner fails to respond, the system will auto archive the cache.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:53 pm

RVRoadTrip wrote:The system here automatically monitors caches and after repeated DNFs or 6 months of inactivity, it starts sending notices to the owner to verify the cache. If the owner fails to respond, the system will auto archive the cache.
Awesome!
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:55 pm

That's great. I was just wondering about that myself :)
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

jackrob

Post by jackrob » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:17 pm

Well like it or not gc.com is the giant. A lot of people don't like their policies and may like a refreshing change. Migrating from "there" to "here" would see to be most easily done by cross posting until this is really a viable database.