Previewing a cache submission.

About the Opencaching Site
RVRoadTrip
Site Admin
Re: Previewing a cache submission.

Post by RVRoadTrip » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:06 pm

BlueStone wrote:I was thinking along the same lines as GOF.
Just seems like it would save the "reviewers" some work trying to approve half-done caches.
Not to mention, what if someone submits one "undone", it gets approved, and then the CO completes setting it up, with something that may not fly?
If that happened, someone would report the cache and it would get looked at again. There is not perfect system, not on any site. I do not necessarily see the reason to create a "placeholder" page for a cache that isn't ready to be published. Why not submit the data when you are all set?

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:17 pm

Chiming in...I do see a benefit of not having to create the cache page in one sitting. I've had an issue with a few caches I've done at TerraCaching where I wasn't finished, but had to go on to other things. On there, caches are approved by your 2 sponsors and I needed to amend the name with "PENDING" or something, but they'd continue to get notices that they had caches waiting for approval.

On here, we would need to continue checking on an "in progress" cache to see when it appeared to actually be ready. Not such a big deal now, but when we really hit the big time, I could see it becoming more of hassle. Also, it's a feature that is available from GC.com, that we don't offer. Of course, we don't aim to completely mirror them, but it is something that we did have at one point. I'm trying to recall the issued that led to it being changed (too lazy to search the forum right now), but it seemed like this feature was "bundled" with another that was changed, but that this could conceivable not have to be linked to the other.

Obviously the decision is yours, Jerry, but thought I'd another of my 2 cents worth.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:28 pm

A cache can be submitted with basic data and the CO can add in the description that it is not totally complete. This will get it submitted and approved with a new status of "Not Yet Available". You can edit it to your heart's content before publishing it at this point.

IDLookout

Post by IDLookout » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:28 am

And don't forget to hit the HTML button to see all of the fancy crazy extra code you've added after numerous edits! :-)
Conrad V
Clark Fork, ID
Mountain Forum Mod

BlueStone

Post by BlueStone » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:35 am

Good! Sounds like you guys have thought this through :)

Its good to know how the process will work. Thanx for the feedback.