Recruiting new members

About the Opencaching Site
TermiteHunter
Site Admin
Recruiting new members

Post by TermiteHunter » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:59 pm

I have tried everything I can come up with.
GC cache series with a final on OCus ( the GC caches are popular but the final is rarely found)
Multi x-listed cache to inform the unaware (that's new. look up logger)
Cards dropped in caches with OC info ( and GC as well)
Begging on the local forum for participants (lots of debate, give and take, mostly ignored or dismissed)
Listing ALL new caches on OCus (and I have a bit of a following but not nearly as much on OCus)
In person reasons to utilize OCus ( every chance I get but they usually ask why so they already know I'm there and a supporter)
Links to OCus caches (say no more)
Releasing a commemortive cache at an event and encouraging it's search in person ( OK, it got moved that day but it is slow to move now)

What more? Do any of you have other ideas? I have noticed that the new members is growing recently at about 1 a day. We have a member count of gaining only about 44 per month and this looks to have slowed recently after the initial surge. We have more caches than members at this point. New member growth seems painfully slow even while the cache count grows at a reasonable pace for the number of members.

I'm asking... How to you recruit new members? What works and what doesn't? PLEASE comment.

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Re: Recruiting new members

Post by RVRoadTrip » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:31 pm

That's about the extent of what can be done. People will naturally go where the crowds are. Even though OC.com doesn't list many cache types, the bulk of the caches out there ARE the types they list. And people don't seem to care much that the vast majority of their caches are simply cross-listings. Go figure.

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:58 pm

None of the alternative sites do well here. TC has a few participants, usually long term cachers. There are. Ery few TC caches nearby. NC and the more recent OX are Virtually non existent. The only OX cache i suspect was x listed by accident. Right after it appeared the lister asked " OCus and OCdot com arn't the same?". That one gaurdral cache has yet to be logged on OX.

OCus has had limited success from my pushing from every angle. Still find logs are rare for my 16 caches.

NativTxn
Site Admin

Post by NativTxn » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:18 pm

Just keep promoting OCUS in all the ways mentioned. I think we're all doing our little part. I'm going to alternate putting new caches on OCUS and GC.com, so that people will start realizing there are new ones here as well. When you post a new cache, post the link on your Twitter and Facebook (and any local forums/FB Pages/Groups, etc that will let you do it.). On Facebook, when you post a link, you can see the OCUS logo as well. Visuals help.

The Garmin site makes me wonder. My friend has one of their caches that mysteriously appeared on the Garmin site and they KNOW for a fact that they did not list it themselves. I registered an account there just so no one could use MY name to hide any of my caches. I just wonder how many of their listings are legit. I won't post any there.
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:14 pm

We have a "coming attractions" thread on the local forum whsre I announce intended hides and then links once published. All the regulars on the site are aware of this and that with rare exceptions all my hides are on OCus. I don't FB or tweet.
I feel that I need to reach locals that do not parricipafe in the local forum since rhey all know and have pretty much decided whether to play OCus or not.

I have a question a about youre alternating hides between GC and OC us...how does that make others (on GC) aware that you are hidinc on OCus?

Still learning to ttpe on a ipod touch

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:48 pm

No cross promotion here, just an idea.

At Geocaching Australia we have a similar challenge. http://geocaching.com.au/ How do we attract new people to play the game based on caches listed on our site. Like OC, GCA offers a type of cache challenge that doesn't exist on the GS site. A moving cache type.

We ran a Moving Cache Race for the summer of 2009/2010 (December / January down under) and another theme based moving cache race over the same period in 2010/2011. We chose those dates based on daylight savings, school holidays, nice weather, people on annual leave.

The game logistics were managed off site, but I'm sure the OC developers could get something going on the OC site itself.
The MCR for 2009/2010 http://www.cachinggames.com/mcr/
The MCR (GeGnome Project) for 2010/2011 http://www.cachinggames.com/gegnomeproject/

In the first year we had about 30 caches in the race and they were moved a collective 774 times. In the second year we had 236 Garden Gnomes in the race, they moved a collective 3,440 times and in straight line travel, collectively we reached the moon :-)

At GCA we allow multiple moved / finds on moving caches which is a little different to OC. We found that every time a cache is moved and rehidden, the challenge of finding it again warrants a new find smiley. Your philosophy may be different, but if a cache can only be found once, it limits the number of finds and moved.

We had caches move all around Australia, Ireland, England, Netherlands, Japan, Indonesia and the USA, so the GeGnome Project was an international activity. We gave away some token prizes (a specially minted pathtag) but the majority of people enjoyed the game for what it was, not because there was a prize at the end.

Maybe for the US summer period you could consider running a similar concept game which does a couple of things.
a. Creates more cache listings.
b. Encourages people to find the caches.
c. B drives A and A drives B.
d. Once cachers get into your site (through the game) they are likely to stay and hide more caches which creates more finders. An enjoyable circle.

Not pushing any agenda here, just something we did, that we think was pretty successful, in getting people interested in the site and a number of new players joined in and stayed around to continue the benefits of Geocaching Australia.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:33 pm

Thanks for the insights and info, caught. I will talk to RVRT and the OC Team. Maybe we can come up with some sort of special summer event thing.

I was going to say that on a personal level, I just try to let folks know 1) about the site and 2) how much I enjoy it. I figure some folks will be inclined to check it out and some won't. There is only so much you can do on a one-on-one level.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:35 am

An OCus event sounds like a great idea to get all involved.

I like the idea of the moving cache race but the number of participants appears too low to get one to go any distance. As an example we have some 314 members, 14 in my immediate area. It is doubtful that a moving cache would ever make it out of the area as the next nearest OCus cacher is a significant distance away. That and the limitation of 1 find per individual limits the incentive to move it again. (this has been discussed in the past). Moving caches done by my local club (not listed anywhere but within our club with a similar number of members as OCus in a smaller area) were popular for a short period of time but now sit idle as interest dropped.

Look forward to your ideas for an event to bring attention and excitement to the site.

Yawppy

Post by Yawppy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:43 pm

:? Deleted my earlier post, as I finally found out how to get a gpx downloaded, Took a bit but still, few far between.

I'm not sure as to how to get more to switch from a familiar family as GC, but David and the Goliath may be of use here. :lol:

:) I have tried several sites GC (OF COURSE), NC, TC, OC.C, GoWall, 4 Square, (Yeah last 2 not exactly caching but close) GPS games, Geohash, and now OC.US.

8-) I like OC.US, but if there are none in my vicinity, well it gets put off to the back of the stove, (
Much like my TC and Gowall, 4 square is gone) right now I'd have to go 80 Miles West and 100 North, which is feasable, but will I remember they are there when in the field? Probably not, but we shall see.

:shock: :?: So not sure how you can recruit, but I would love to find a traveling OC! Here they seem to be more open in the cache categories, Virtuals are back, I may do a few here in NE!

So time will tell, GL sure things will work out! :D :D :D

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:38 am

It starts with one cache.... place one in your area so there will be at least one. This "seed" may be all it takes for others to place one, or more.