Recruiting new members

About the Opencaching Site
DJCreekCachers
Re: Recruiting new members

Post by DJCreekCachers » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:37 pm

We recently spent a week on Sanibel Island in Florida. There are several GC.com caches located there and during our vacation we found several of them.

One of the caches was a virtual that was located on Captiva Island near an old cemetery. I believe it was titled "Near the Chapel." After finishing the cache, we decided to take a look around the chapel and what to our wondering eyes did appear? Not a sleigh and 8 tiny raindeer. No, something better, a guest book.

Having signed the guest book, we figured it was high time a Opencaching.us cache found its way to Sanibel-Captiva Islands.

A few days later, our new Guest Book cache was published and we began to watch and see if someone would log it.

We also put the nearby caches on our watchlist so we would know when cachers were finding those caches. Well, along came yiprip. This cacher logged "Near the chapel" and put in their log that they had visited the chapel and signed guest book.

Having read their log, we sent them an e-mail and told them they should log their find on Opencaching.us. Now it seems that we have a new recruit. How cool is that?

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:51 pm

Pretty cool...

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:48 pm

Very cool...
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed May 04, 2011 8:34 am

Groundspeak websites, including geocaching.com and waymarking.com will be down for about 6 hours, today, starting at 9 AM PDT.

Folks may want to take this time to promote OCUS. Below is a message I tweeted, a few minutes ago.
Need a #geocaching fix today? Check out @OpenCachingUS. 100% hamster, frog & squirrel SAFE & 100% FREE, too.
Figured I'd throw in a little humor. Groundspeak has had a running joke going about how their servers are hamster-powered and they're adding some to the mix, to improve service. Signal the Frog is, of course, their mascot. And Opie the Squirrel is the mascot of Garmin's caching site.

I also posted a similar message to Facebook and will be posting in my local forums, as well.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Wed May 04, 2011 5:04 pm

Yeah, I saw those tweets you made. :)

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu May 05, 2011 10:26 am

Can we tell if we had any bump in visits to the site, yesterday?
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image