Opencaching Logo and artwork

About the Opencaching Site
Coffee Peddlers
Site Admin
Opencaching Logo and artwork

Post by Coffee Peddlers » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:06 pm

Hey everyone!!

I spoke with a young man at my church who is very artist. He's done some work for our youth comission and its very good. I've asked him if he could design us a logo that will be exclusive to our site. What this will do is give us the oppertunity to begin to create specific OCNA swag. Our EU counterparts were not enthusiastic about using the generic opencaching logo for swag, shirts, water bottles etc. One of the postings it was mentioned by one of the German Admin/Programmers that if we just created our own logo than we could do what we want with it.

So that is what we will be doing. I unfortunately do not have a timeline yet. I sent him the link and a general idea of what we are looking for and such. I'll keep everyone updated using this thread.

If anyone has idea as far as a logo please share them here. We can also use this thread to brainstorm as well and if anyone has any artwork they've created that by all means share that as well.
Cheers
CP
Tackling Ontario's hiking trails one step at a time and now invading Michigan Trails as well.

GOF

Re: Opencaching Logo and artwork

Post by GOF » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:14 pm

I would think you'd want to keep with the same basic theme. I believe the geocaching G is public domain. Just change the compass rose behind it. Something like this one without the lettering.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:54 pm

I was really frustrated at the OC Europe representative's interpretation of the Terms of Use for the OC Community logo, along with their thoughts on "commercial use". I think it is unfortunate to splinter the community by creating different logos and identity for each nation-based site. In that vein, I'd like to go with something that is not a complete departure. How about the "G" with a yellow outline of North America, that would be reminiscent of the OC sun logo, but would also be unique.

I have a co-worker that does does some design work and enjoys doing it on his off hours. I'll see if he'd be willing to do a mock up of this idea.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

GOF

Post by GOF » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:24 pm

Ooo! I like that even better than my idea. Keeps the OC theme yet ads that North American touch.

NativTxn
Site Admin

Post by NativTxn » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:56 pm

How about something simple like this? Same Geocaching symbol, same font (In His Hands)...
Attachments
OCUSLogo.png
Sample Logo
OCUSLogo.png (133.34KiB)Viewed 9226 times
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:40 am

I have talked to a coworker who is going to try to come up with an image that basically replaces the sun with rough outline of North America (still in yellow).
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:45 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:I have talked to a coworker who is going to try to come up with an image that basically replaces the sun with rough outline of North America (still in yellow).
No luck with my coworker.

Following my trip to North Carolina, I've spoken to FailedApparatus / Randal about doing up a new logo with an outline of North America, replacing the sun, but still in yellow.

Finally manage to knock out a REALLY rough visualization of what's been in my head.

Really, the G should maybe be slightly smaller and moved a little "west" to allow of North America to stick out on the right.

Also, "OpenCaching" would be around the top and "North America" around the botton im the "In His Hands" font, we use now.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Maybe...
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

NativTxn
Site Admin

Post by NativTxn » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:29 pm

Looking good. I like the concept and it'll be cool with the wording around it.
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

Coffee Peddlers
Site Admin

Post by Coffee Peddlers » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:03 pm

I like it. Perhaps center up the continent in relation to the geocaching logo. Don't know if that is possible
Cheers
CP
Tackling Ontario's hiking trails one step at a time and now invading Michigan Trails as well.