Owner Notifications?

For reporting issues with the OCNA site.
Sabrefan7
Re: Owner Notifications?

Post by Sabrefan7 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:12 pm

Well not sure if its me or not :? I just received the email that my cache had been found. I saw the log on the OC site before I got the email so hopefully I signed up correctly :D

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:01 pm

The issue with some people not receiving log notifications is very random so I haven't been able to pinpoint what might be causing it. About 30 or so new users reported not getting the new account activation email and that turned out to be their email providers either sending to the user's spam folder or the email provider killing the email without even telling the user.

There have been a lot of log entries so users should be getting all sorts of notifications. I only hear about the random "I never got one" but no one volunteers that they are receiving them.

czar7

Post by czar7 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:29 pm

I get them on my two caches...but I also clicked on the Watch button for each of them. I only get one e-mail per find...but I am not sure that tells you anything.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:57 pm

I've searched all my OpenCaching e-mails and can confirm I've never gotten an "Owner Notification" e-mail. I've "watched" all of my own caches, so do get those. I've searched through my e-mail (Outlook & gmail web), including Junk folders. How are owner notification subject lines formatted? Identical to Watchlist e-mail or something like "[OC US] Owner Notification - <date>"? Are we actually supposed to get notification e-mails on our owned caches without explicitily having to watch them?
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:35 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:I've searched all my OpenCaching e-mails and can confirm I've never gotten an "Owner Notification" e-mail. I've "watched" all of my own caches, so do get those. I've searched through my e-mail (Outlook & gmail web), including Junk folders. How are owner notification subject lines formatted? Identical to Watchlist e-mail or something like "[OC US] Owner Notification - <date>"? Are we actually supposed to get notification e-mails on our owned caches without explicitily having to watch them?
I looked at failure notices for emails sent and only users with an AT&T based email have a problem receiving email from OCUS, and it seems only the account activation emails are being blocked, everything else goes through just fine. This includes @att.net, @sbcglobal.net, @prodigy.net, etc. It seems the previous owner of the IP that Rackspace assigned to my domain was a spammer or something and AT&T blacklisted the IP. I contacted AT&T about getting the IP cleared. I have not seen any failure notices for notifications though so not sure what is eating them after they leave the mail server. I asked one of the other programmers to look into it and will have to wait to hear back from them.

Go ahead and watch your own caches. If something changes, I will let you know. The email you get will be in the following format:

Hello {username}!

A new log has been posted to your cache:
{ownerlogs}

A new log has been posted to a watched cache:
{watchlogs}

To change your watched caches, please visit:
http://www.opencaching.us/mywatches.php

Thank you!
The OC US Team

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:56 pm

I get all my other e-mails from OCUS. What will the subject be?
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:24 pm

Haven't had a find on one of mine in a while but I did recieve both Found and DNF logs. If more than one log was entered within a few hours I would recieve only one e-mail but it would contain both logs, one after the other. Not necessarly logs entered by the same person. There wsa no need to watch my own caches.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:21 pm

I've removed my own caches from my watchlist to make sure it is not causing a problem.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:40 pm

We found the problem... now to figure out how best to fix it. It doesn't have anything to do with watch lists, it is how the database is recording the logs. Stay tuned for more info.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:53 pm

Well, that's a start. Thanks for the info. For now, I'll just watch the "newest logs" for my caches. I usually check that once a day, anyway, just to see what is going on.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image