History Caching

Have an idea for the site? Share it here.
history-cacher
History Caching

Post by history-cacher » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:39 am

I'd like to suggest we start a forum for those interested in combining their interest in history with caching.

I know there are a few of us out there and I could invite more people to that forum if it existed.

-RKO

"Live from Cape Canaveral'

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Re: History Caching

Post by RVRoadTrip » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:41 pm

This something I would consider provided there was enough interest.
Additionally, I would like to ask you a few questions about what you feel is "history caching".

Do you just call them "history caches" or do you have another name for them?
Do you have guidelines or certain criteria as to what qualifies as a history cache?
What forum do you use now for this?
And feel free to volunteer any other information you'd like.

history-cacher

Post by history-cacher » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:55 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Yes that is what I call them. I know many people who enjoying caching with a history theme. I've met them on both Waymarking and Geocaching and we have
had discussions on techniques and methods in message threads but never really had a forum. I would like to invite them to a forum where plans could be
made to introduce more cachers to the theme of history in caches and interest more history buffs to the hobby of caching.

Waymarking shows an good breakdown of history into various categories of caches but until the numbers are up in the forum I think it is
not necessary.

My history caches are very historic photo oriented and have history caches based on a variety of topics. Some are around historic markers, others around
museums and some are just where famous people once visited. I am working on a new type of history cache that is "Then and Now" show what the
location looked like years ago and get the visitor to take a picture of what it looks like now.

I'd like to ask you some questions.

For starters, is there a way to invite new users over to a particular forum?

-RKO

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:37 am

First I will answer your question. The only way is to provide a direct link to the forum section and/or thread. There is no way to mass invite anyone if that is what you meant.

I looked at the current waymarking site today and it looks like they have way too many categories that appeal only to a very small group. For example, how many people want to go get the GPS coordinates of a place that rents bicycles? What happens when the place goes out of business?

I like the idea but I do think that using categories could easily get our of hand as it has at the other site. A search for "history" categories returned 50 results. People, pirates, roads, etc, etc. The most common thing I found was this phrase: "Last visited: never". I don't want a reputation of useless caches on this site.

My initial thought would be to create an identifier for history caches and use that in the title. For example, all of my caches that I will enter begin with RVRT so anyone who wants to see only my "RV Road Trip" virtual caches can easily find them.

I have created a subforum where this can now be discussed. It is available at viewforum.php?f=34