Benchmarks

Have an idea for the site? Share it here.
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Re: Benchmarks

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:06 pm

Bon Echo wrote:Is the Benchmark cache-type still in the works? I've been thinking about logging requirements for those - a photo maybe? I located a number of them across the 4 western Canadian provinces and look forward to creating listings for them.
Thanks
Edit to add: should there be a requirement that the one posting a benchmark "cache" must first visit the benchmark to ensure it is accessible and get accurate coordinates? I know that for many of the horizontal control disks in Canada, the listed coordinates are very inaccurate ("scaled from the map"). I tried to find a few Canadian benchmarks that were listed on Waymarking, and when I went to the posted coordinates is was quickly apparent that they were taken from the government website without being verified. Way off.
Oh yeah, still in the works. The Contest (which we'd better announce soon) will take up most of our time in August and through early September.

Personally, I would agree, you have to visit it personally, and verify coordinates. And that it's still there and everything.
ImageImage