History Caching Basics

Discussion about virtual caches with a historical theme.
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Re: History Caching Basics

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:16 pm

Any cache located at / near a site of historic interest, which should also include historical / background information on the cache page.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:23 am

DudleyGrunt wrote:Any cache located at / near a site of historic interest, which should also include historical / background information on the cache page.
Another concern of mine is inactivity. I have historical listings that are active and being logged on GC.com, and I would like to give this site my support, but we run into the cross listing issue. I may be the only OCUS member and only one of two waymarkers in my area. Some of my listings are virtuals placed with permission in Parks, like Cumberland Gap National Historic Park. I plan on keeping my virtual listings on any site that will allow them, but some of the traditionals that I have on OX need a home. I'll work on a few listings for review, and we can start from there. Maybe some will make a good addition to this site? Who knows until we try?
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:45 am

Looking forward to more and to getting down your way sometime.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:07 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:Looking forward to more and to getting down your way sometime.
You may want to check out the Scott County Tourism FB page. Geotourism was attempted with geocaches in POI's in the county and events during our Clinch Mountain Music Fest, but that takes sponsors and people willing to work at it, or better yet, a small group of local geocachers. I thought it was fun to take part in, but I like the tee shirt, pathtag, and geocoin also. I have a friend in Hazzard/Perry county Kentucky that hosts events every year, I believe our county copied his event, but his family and mine enjoy meeting a few times a year. I have made some good friends geocaching, and not just here in the US.
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd