History Caching Basics

Discussion about virtual caches with a historical theme.
Sabrefan7
Re: History Caching Basics

Post by Sabrefan7 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:57 pm

I think a Virtual or a BIT cache would be perfect for the locations your considering. Neither has a physical container and both are allowed here and not on Geocaching.com

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue May 08, 2012 10:25 am

gundark2000 wrote:Yes, the state of SC has a ban on cemetery caches. It's not a law, but an agreement between the state gov't and the SC cachers that no cache container will be placed in or near any cemetery. From what I've heard, caching was almost banned altogether in SC back in 2005 (rumor?) There are still some virtuals in place though. I'm wondering if new vertuals would still be allowed (not that I'm planning on placing one in a cemetery) there's many historical areas and cemeteries that would be perfect for a virtual.
Not a rumor, a South Carolina State Senator really did propose legislation. Just cemeteries and historic and archaeological sites though, not all caching. I believe the State Senate actually passed it, but it died in the State House. There was an initial public hearing, which several prominent South Carolina Geocachers attended, and her staff (I remember for certain it was a female senator) had their jaws dropping to the floor with damning evidence against Geocaching, mostly night caching logs and photos. To this day, almost every Groundspeak reviewer in America will require a "No Night Caching" statement in States where they are still allowed.

Now why did this all happen? Some guy placed a crazy amount of cemetery caches, especially by 2005 standards when there were far far fewer Geocaches and Geocachers around.It was like 50 of them, a series. He changed his username in disgrace (an over reaction in my opinion), so I'd never be able to find the archived listings. Most of these were poorly maintained or abandoned, and the influx of visitors drew attention. And I'm not making this part up, many were "black" cemeteries, and a bunch of almost all white geeks with electronic devices visiting them really drew attention.

Don't mind me, I've visited the Geocaching.com forums almost every day since 2004. I do need to get a life. Then again, I do know stuff. :mrgreen:
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue May 08, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks for the history lesson / confirmation, Mr.Yuck and gundark (or Mr.2000?).

I tend to think that virtuals can be "placed" anywhere that is publicly accessible, since all you are essentially doing is recommending someone else visit the area. I suppose there are some areas that are accessible, but where photography is not allowed (or might draw attention), but that is a situation where a Log Password would be especially useful.

While BITcaches can be easier to place in some locations, than a traditional cache, you are still placing something, so permission may still need to be obtained. I'm trying to get in touch with Fort Belvoir about being able to place some additional caches within a wildlife refuge that is open the public and outside the controlled access main part of post. I recently listed a virtual, but am hoping to place some traditional or, at least, some BITcaches. Being an area controlled by the US Army, I'm definitely not placing anything without permission. However, I felt perfectly comfortable listing a Virtual and have 2 other Virtuals on main post, at historic sites. For the latter, I included information and links about access. Technically, anyone can get on post by showing ID at the gate.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

GOF

Post by GOF » Tue May 08, 2012 1:57 pm

I tend to agree. If the location is publicly accessible a virtual is OK. It isn't any different than posting a reply on a discussion saying "Hey. While you are at XXX be sure to visit YYY."

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue May 08, 2012 2:40 pm

GOF wrote:While you are at XXX be sure to visit YYY."
BTW, I agree! YYY is definitely one of the must see sites at XXX!
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed May 09, 2012 9:14 am

Hmm. I missed something. I think a Bit Cache inside a South Carolina cemetery would be a bad idea without permission. Outside the grounds, as in "Gof style" yes. Then the cemetery could be YYY.
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed May 09, 2012 11:11 am

DudleyGrunt wrote:BTW, I agree! YYY is definitely one of the must see sites at XXX!
I was just trying to be funny. Wasn't really referencing specific values for XXX or YYY.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

GOF

Post by GOF » Wed May 09, 2012 6:27 pm

Yes, XXX and YYY are both fictional. Cemeteries are a good place for a virtual, not a BIT cache.

Oh, and since when do I have a style named after me?

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri May 11, 2012 8:21 am

GOF wrote:Yes, XXX and YYY are both fictional. Cemeteries are a good place for a virtual, not a BIT cache.

Oh, and since when do I have a style named after me?
Since I thought of it, on Wed May 09, 2012 at 1:14 pm. Of course that was probably Greenwich Mean Time or something. :mrgreen:
ImageImage

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:10 am

I have quite a few listings based on history. Many are virtual listings, others are traditional geocaches in historic locations. I only try and use a virtual listing where physical geocaches are not allowed or are not feasable. I'm not a big fan of cross listing, but from my stand point, I'm the only supporter of OCUS in my area, and one of two active waymarkers. I have some listings here that have been dormant for the last year, and I have not had much success with my listings on Garmin's site. The quality of virtuals as well as physical geocaches have declined on their site, and I feel that OCUS has higher standards. Also my history caches that are active and being found are listed on Groundspeaks site.
I would like the opinions from the active members here what they would expect from me and my history caches. I'm told that many of my history caches are long winded, but I firmly believe that if I submit a researched listing I want to make it interesting and give it a wow factor. You will know what to expect at the location, and if it is of interest to you. I'm also a member of several geocaching sites and FB geocaching groups, and I'm not into geocaching for the numbers.
So what do you think makes a good history cache?
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd