Welcome history-caching friends

Discussion about virtual caches with a historical theme.
history-cacher
Welcome history-caching friends

Post by history-cacher » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:54 am

Thanks for accepting my invitation to visit our history forum for geocaching at Open Caching dot US.

Here is a place where we can discuss the use of geocaching towards historical preservation. It is imperative that we transfer history into the future
by new media and this hobby of geocaching gives us an opportunity to do just that. Kinda like an " old wine into new wine skins"approach, to use an ancient
parable.

Be sure to read the posts here and don't hesitate to ask any questions. We have many people here with years of experience who would be happy to
offer you their advice.

Historically yours,

Ray Osborne
"Live from Cape Canaveral"

PS. Take a moment and introduce yourself by replying to this email.

Sabrefan7

Re: Welcome history-caching friends

Post by Sabrefan7 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:38 pm

Big History buff here, I put a small cache in one of the oldest cemetery's in Western New York
http://www.opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=185

history-cacher

Post by history-cacher » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:52 pm

Thanks, I visited it. Pretty impressive as you just made it active yesterday and you had 27 hits already. Interesting that there is a Johnny Reb buried up there too.

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:25 pm

I'm fond of historic places too. It's amazing to think of all that has happened during the lifetime of those places/objects. I actually have a cache devoted to one of the primary breweries that was located in my city. And I suppose on the same topic, I have a separate virtual cache at the grave of the man who gave his name to our city and the beer that made that brewery famous. Everything is connected, even if unintentionally :)
Sloshkosh is about the brewery
WSQ Chief Oshkosh is the man
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:33 am

Nice ones! Buffalo NY used to have Iroquois Beer for many years. I believe 1830-1971 Maj Tracy was born in Georgia but the family moved to Batavia NY The recovered his body from the Antietam battle ground and re buried him

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:11 pm

I own quite a few history caches. At least four respectfully placed at Confederate cemeterys. About 95% of my listings are based on factual history and are placed in the historic location. One of my fav's is a ammo can hide near the ambush site of the Moses Cockrell party by indians led by Chief Bog Benge himself. I have several caches listed based on Benge, and others in the area do also. He was well feared in these parts.
I also placed a series of caches along the Daniel Boon Wilderness Trail to highlight stops of interest along the route. I need to bookmark the series again, but my first bookmark also listed some other users listings also, and quite a few of those are archived. I also have some historic virtuals that I would be interesting in listing here. I've been a member here for awhile, but I've not learned the system yet. I have some Military related listings also. I'm a active GC.com member, and former peer reviewer and member of OpenCaching.com, where as of now I'm banned from the forums until Monday 13th at 10:00. I have archived my listings there and contacted Garmin to remove my account and listings there. I'm not here to bring up that site again, but some of you already know my user name, so end of subject about OX. Can't wait to list a few caches here once I figure out how. I thought the Waymarking site was once tough too....so just bear with me.
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:21 pm

Welcome aboard!
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

NativTxn
Site Admin

Post by NativTxn » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:41 pm

Welcome! I like history-based caches, so yours will be welcome here. I like having the Historical cache attribute on this site. Submit away.... :D
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:18 pm

Hello and Welcome. Hope to see your cashes listed here they sound interesting. EDIT to say,, I like the ones you have here already! Thanks for placing them