Status of BITcaches?

Bound ID Tag Caching
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Status of BITcaches?

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sat May 23, 2020 3:44 pm

What is the status of BITcaches since the site upgrade? I see that they are tagged as "no translation available" in someplaces. I see that there is now a "Own Cache". I might change my vehicle BIT to an Own, but should I consider archiving my BITcaches?
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Bon Echo
Site Admin

Re: Status of BITcaches?

Post by Bon Echo » Sat May 23, 2020 8:47 pm

Here's my understanding. BIT cache may be restored as a unique cache type, along with a few others (and I've lost track of what those types are). The "unique to OCNA" cache types have been a sticking point with the OC developers. Some are all for it, others are opposed. Currently they are not defined in the OC database so they show up the way you described. Also missing is the page that use to generate the BIT for printing (although basically it's just a logo, a QR code and some text).
"Own Cache" is a type that they already had on the OC.pl node and so we inherited that, but the implementation on OCNA has a bug - users (and admin) cannot edit an own cache. Another (slightly related) bug is that moving caches currently show up as "podcache". Anyway, I recommend waiting to switch your BIT of Own.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Status of BITcaches?

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sun May 31, 2020 10:51 am

Thanks. As I try to get around to checking on caches, if BITs are missing, I'll probably be quicker to archive those vs other types, though.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image