Re: Garmin chirp

Post by GOF » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:32 pm

IDLookout wrote:
glorkar wrote:
GOF wrote:GC2GRHF
Hmmm....PMO cache. Guess I won't be looking at that one :/

Oh, and a thread in the GC feedback forums: Clicky Clicky

Me either....
Oops. Sorry folks. Here is the content less the coordinate info so as to be fair to the COs wishes in making it a PMO.

To be fair this Geocache should not be involved in any challenges or blackouts as it can only be found by certain equipment. Feel free to put this on your ignore list to remove it from your map if wanted. Please if you complete this cache, do not give out final information.

Heard A Bird ?

To reach the final on this one, take any device that is capable of hearing a "chirp" with you.

I have a unit that can be borrowed if you would like to seek this cache and don't own one. Just email me and we will set up a time to have some fun.

Go to N 47° XX.XXX W 122° XX.XXX and stand on the plaque you see below.

Photobucket

After hearing the correct "chirp" your device will take you on a nice walk or short drive to the cache and a great place to bird watch.

Photobucket

$5 Starbucks card for FTF !
The interesting part is this attribute. Image wireless beacon required.

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:59 pm

Yep, Premium Member Only listing. That is the number one reason I started this site. Here, all members are equal.

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:10 am

RVRoadTrip wrote:Premium Member Only
I always thought it stood for Paid Member Only! :|
But back on topic, I think it's an intriguing idea. I could see it having more useful applications than geocaching though. Perhaps hiding buried treasure? Maybe a secret door to a secret hideout? You know, useful stuff :D
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

ghostranger

Post by ghostranger » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:31 am

I recently hid a chirp along with a cache in NJ. I purposely hid the chirp in a different spot than the cache but close enough to transmit the data regarding a hidden bonus cache. The idea is that you can make the chirp say anything you want. On mine I put in the coordinates of the bonus. All other non-chirp compatible units can still find the first cache but they get a bonus if they have chirp. I do like the idea of a bluetooth piece compatible with many different units. Perhaps someone should send GRmn a message asking for that, but then again how many units today actually have bluetooth outside of the phone industry?? Have fun. GR - Out.

Cael67

Post by Cael67 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:17 am

I ran across a post on Garmin's new device called a "Chirp" which prompted me to check out Garmin's website on this interesting little device. The Chirp is designed specifically for geocaching which quite possibly a first for Garmin. The website claims that this little transmitter can broadcast cache hints for puzzles/multis and could also be used for mult caches where you can "broadcast" waypoints for each stage of the multi. This little transmitter is supposedly water proof and can be placed just about anywhere and will broadcast hints or coordinates when a specific Garmin GPS unit gets within 30 feet of the Chirp. I has a small lithium watch battery that supposedly has a life of about a year. The Chirp only works with the Garmin Oregon and GPSMap 62 series of GPS units only and will work if you down load the update for your Oregon or 62. I just did this yesterday to my Oregon 400C.

My take on the Chirp is that it turn the fun factor way up on doing mutlis and puzzles. Finding puzzles and multis with the Chirp in place would give you instant verification when trying to find these harder cache types. The downside is that it works with very few GPS units AND like anything else we put out in the field, it could "disappear".

So, you have my $1.25 on the subject, now its your turn to weigh in. My question to the group is what do you think about this new Garmin Chirp? Do you see this as cutting edge, revolutionze the sport type gadge OR a flash in the pan, one hit wonder type gadget that wont really cache (catch) on. IF you like this device, besides setting it up for multis, what other applications do you see this Chirp being used in the geocaching?

UPDATE: STAR DATE 113010 - I did my first chirp cache! This is a new multi in the Magnolia neighborhood. The cache is GC2JQXK Birds and Frogs put out by Gpops. You should check this one especially if you have a Garmin unit that has the ability to "hear" the chirp. Rentonians, be aware, I see a chirp cache in your near future!

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:45 pm

I recently got a Garmin 62st, which is chirp-compliant. I will need to try my first one, sometime soon. I think it has not really taken off since not everyone has the capability and the cost of buying a chirp-chip and the risk of it going missing. I'd have to be sure to hide it in very good manner, if I set one up.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image