Garmin chirp

Geocaching Hardware Discussion
RVRoadTrip
Site Admin
Garmin chirp

Post by RVRoadTrip » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:11 pm

I read about the Garmin chirp.

I don't use a Garmin GPSr so it is useless to me. Like many others, I use my smart phone to cache with so making it only usable with Garmin devices eliminates a huge potential customer base. But if I used a compatible Garmins device, I think the idea is a good one and it will lead to similar devices with slightly different features. Would I buy one for $22 to place in a cache? Not a chance.

What do you guys/gals think about it?

----------------Content taken from the official Garmin site ----------------------------------

Starting today, geocachers have a new trick up their sleeves - and in their caches - as we're introducing chirp, a unique wireless beacon designed specifically for the outdoor adventures of geocaching. Affordable, durable and waterproof, chirp can communicate with, and be programmed by, any compatible wireless-enabled Garmin handheld for a more interactive and enjoyable geocaching experience. Cache creators and seekers alike will enjoy the benefits as chirp stores hints, transmits multicache coordinates, counts visitors and confirms the cache is nearby.

“With chirp, geocachers have a new tool to enhance the joys of creating and finding caches around the globe,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales. “In listening to and participating in the vibrant geocaching community, Garmin created a one-of-a-kind device that builds on popular innovations such as paperless geocaching and downloading cache details directly to the device.”

Geocaching is a high-tech version of hide-and-seek where participants of all ages explore the outdoors in search of hidden treasure and adventure, and chirp’s wireless interactivity introduces a world of possibilities for creative caches. Experienced cachers will embrace the countless options now available in creating cutting-edge caches, and beginners will appreciate chirp’s features that make those caches easier to find. Simple to use and password-protected, chirp can be programmed by any compatible wireless-enabled Garmin handheld to store geocaching hints and other information. When other geocachers arrive near your cache, they’ll be alerted that the cache is nearby, and then they’ll be able to access the hints you’ve loaded into chirp. And when you return, chirp will tell you how many visitors have been to your cache.

With chirp, setting up and maintaining a multicache has never been easier. Using your compatible Garmin handheld device (such as Oregon, Dakota and the recently announced GPSMAP handhelds), chirp automatically transmits program coordinates so other cachers can find each stage of your multicache. Or if you’re on a multicache, chirp lets you download coordinates. So there’s no need to manually enter numerous sets of complex coordinates – there’s just one simple touch and you’re on your way to the next stage.

Designed and tested by geocachers, chirp is built to take the rigors of the outdoors. And because chirp is password protected, the owner is the only one with programming powers. With a battery life of up to a year and a battery that’s easy to replace, chirp is long-lasting and user-friendly. Measuring 1.3” by 0.9” (slightly bigger than a quarter) and weighing less than an ounce, chirp is small enough to incorporate easily into your favorite caches – whether they’re already placed or still being planned.

The helpful hints provided by chirp are brought to life through paperless geocaching, which allows geocachers to help the environment and be more efficient by having cache information downloaded and displayed directly on the device. Compatible Garmin models store and display details such as location, terrain, difficulty, hints and description, so that you don’t have to carry around printouts. Learn about geocaching, getting started and going paperless at http://www.garmin.com/geocaching.

Available now for a suggested retail price of $22.99, chirp represents the latest breakthrough from Garmin, which has spent more than 20 years developing technologies and innovations to enhance users’ lives, making Garmin a household name in the automotive, aviation, marine, wireless, outdoor and fitness industries. For more about features and product compatibility, as well as information about Garmin’s other products and services, go to http://www.garmin.com, http://www.garmin.blogs.com and http://twitter.com/garmin.

Sabrefan7

Re: Garmin chirp

Post by Sabrefan7 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:59 pm

Seems limited in its availability. But the technology is pretty neat. I cant use it either and at the price, I would hate to see some one take it thinking its a trade item

Cachegeek

Post by Cachegeek » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:34 pm

I am not able to use it either but I like the idea.
ImageImageImage

jeffbouldin

Post by jeffbouldin » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:13 am

It excludes too many people. How would 60xxx/Etrex/Magellan/Delorme/BB/iPhone/Android/etc owners participate in your cache if it was based on one of those?

Sniperchicken

Post by Sniperchicken » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:22 pm

"...wireless enabled garmin..."? ? ? I didn't even know such existed ! LOL
Man,the tech has sure advanced!

Sounds more like a gimmic to promote sales of aforementioned garmin products than anything else.

Don't guess i will be in the loop on that idea.

czar7

Post by czar7 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:36 pm

Apparently, over on GS they are saying that in order to publish there has to be alternative way to complete the cache that does not include the Chirp.

The one thing I picked up on is that you must replace the battery about every year. I would bet that a couple will be placed, they will be neat, then the battery will die, or they will get stolen and not replaced.

Just my thoughts.

badlands

Post by badlands » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:03 pm

Might catch on, might not but I like that people are willing to try new things.

GOF

Post by GOF » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:28 pm

BlueStone

Post by BlueStone » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:11 pm

I think its a kewl idea. I've always thought about doing something similar with a home-built device that transmits an RF, IR or even better would be Bluetooth a signal. The only thing is, it should be something that can be picked up easily by many different devices. I thought about using an RF transmitter that transmits on GRMS, but never looked into the legalities of it.

But anyway, it's a kewl idea, but may be too "proprietary" to take off. Especially for $23 a pop for the chirp.

I was kinda surprised that GC came up with and allowed the WhereIGo thing.... But then Garmin prolly threw some serious $$ at GS for that. (Sorry if thats considered" hating" or "bashing" GS ;) )

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:41 pm

GOF wrote:GC2GRHF
Hmmm....PMO cache. Guess I won't be looking at that one :/

Oh, and a thread in the GC feedback forums: Clicky Clicky
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"