Magellan Explorist GC

Geocaching Hardware Discussion
NativTxn
Site Admin
Magellan Explorist GC

Post by NativTxn » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:43 am

A friend of mine has one of these. Can you add OCUS queries to it???
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Re: Magellan Explorist GC

Post by RVRoadTrip » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:46 am

Does it allow the importation of standard GPX files? If not, can you use GSAK to format the query to something that GPS can understand?

NativTxn
Site Admin

Post by NativTxn » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:14 am

I'll have to see if I can get it from her to play around with it a little bit. I don't think she'll be up for using GSAK.
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

Rayman

Post by Rayman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:45 am

It's been a couple years since I used my Explorist, but I don't think it shouldn't be a problem as long as the file is in GPX format. I always used GSAK instead of the crummy Magellan program, so if you use that you should be good to go.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:45 am

Well who knew this thread was here? Time for a bump. Never thought I'd own an explorist, but I find I now do. I had to use the search page, and download the "GPX GC" at the bottom of the page. I believe it identifies this as GPS Exchange Format (Groundspeak) .gpx on a mouse over. However, I had to bypass the so-called "crummy Magellan program", as Rayman would say, and drop it into the "Geocache" folder on my Magellan, which was considered the G drive on my computer when connected with the USB cable (easily found in "My Computer" on your PC).

Then I got all the downloaded caches, totally paperless, everything is there as if it was a Groundspeak listing, which the explorist is designed for paperless caching with.

EDIT: After having some time to really play with it, the only very minor glitch is if I look at the logs for a OCUS listing, the find logs have a "will attend" icon from Geocaching.com. Pretty strange, eh? The DNF's and notes to OCUS caches have the correct icon. An interesing, but very minor bug.

EDIT #2: Also very minor, the cache pages, and long logs will have a couple &nbsp 's thrown in. Seen this on the interweb for years, never knew what it meant. Apparently it stands for Non-breaking space. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-breaking_space
ImageImage

jack9091

Post by jack9091 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:16 am

Hi ..... I always used GSAK instead of the crummy Magellan program, so if you use that you should be good to go ......
Jack

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:49 am

jack9091 wrote:Hi ..... I always used GSAK instead of the crummy Magellan program, so if you use that you should be good to go ......
Isn't that what Rayman said, word for word, over a year ago? :D I've been using the Explorist with OCNA for about a year now, and the gpx gc download is fine. A couple minor glitches as outlined in my last post, but works plenty good. I doubt at this point any Opencaching national site is ever going to tinker with getting the Magellan communicator "send to GPS" button working, such as we have for Garmin.
ImageImage

lourencohen

Post by lourencohen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:34 am

eXplorist GC is built for a premium geocaching experience. I guess there won't be any issues in using OCUS queries with the Magellan Explorist GC. The reviews say that both will work fine without any compatibility issues.

Thanks

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:05 am

lourencohen wrote:eXplorist GC is built for a premium geocaching experience. I guess there won't be any issues in using OCUS queries with the Magellan Explorist GC. The reviews say that both will work fine without any compatibility issues.

Thanks
Despite the broken English, that was an absolutely valiant effort by lourencohen to add to a thread in an on-topic fashion, and they'd probably get away with it 99% of the time at most forums. But this ain't one of those times, spam link signature deleted. :lol:

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I do have a Magellan Explorist GC, and despite a few minor typographical glitches, it works quite well for paperless caching and our website.
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:58 pm

Well played

Sent from the brewery