Stats for Opencaching sites

Geocaching Software Discussion
tomaszg
Stats for Opencaching sites

Post by tomaszg » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:46 pm

Hi,

I'm developing a tool to compute various statistics related to Opencaching activity and a cache map. It supports all OC sites which use OKAPI. The tool itself is accompanied by a simple webpage to visualize the results and you can check it out here: http://tomaszg.pl/geo/.

It is still work in progress and especially all international features were not extensively tested. Myself, I use only OC.pl so many things may break. Also I still intend to add new features, so all ideas are welcome.

If anyone is interested to contribute, the source code is hosted at https://gitlab.com/tomaszg/geostat.
Image ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Re: Stats for Opencaching sites

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:57 pm

Nice work there. I was impressed.
Worked fine for me with OCNA (we tend to prefer OpenCaching North America after we added the majority of the continent)
Thanks for including us.
Sorry I won't be able to help with the coding on GitHub but I will try to keep an eye on it there.

I will look into providing a link to your service on the OCNA site as well if you like.

tomaszg

Post by tomaszg » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:21 am

Thanks. Of course, if you wish you can add the link wherever you want :)
TermiteHunter wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:57 pm
(we tend to prefer OpenCaching North America after we added the majority of the continent)
I need to check all places and introduce a consistent notation (upper/lower case, dots and so on. Maybe I'll replace the names with icons from https://wiki.opencaching.eu/index.php?title=Main_Page Quite a lot of things are still work in progress.

BTW. I didn't find a good map of North America to include. The one I found on Wikipedia uses non-trivial projection and I would need to extend the code to support that situation. Right now it supports only maps in the most stupid projection - i.e. equirectangular. That's why some maps are weirdly deformed.
Image ImageImage

tomaszg

Post by tomaszg » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:25 am

Added a bit of stuff last month: display of "trail" instead of heatmap (works so-so), time range (i.e. limiting stats to caches found in a certain period), added stars next to names of recommended caches, and a few minor polishing things.
Image ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri May 22, 2020 9:37 pm

Very cool. The only issue I saw was the map couldn't be changed from Poland.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri May 22, 2020 9:42 pm

I figured out the map.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sat May 23, 2020 2:32 pm

Am I missing a link on my own stats page that someone could click on to go back to the main page and enter their own name, etc?
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

tomaszg

Post by tomaszg » Sat May 23, 2020 2:34 pm

Oh, I didn't think to put the "back" link there. I assumed everyone would just use browser back button. Next time I'll be fiddling around I'll add that.
Image ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sat May 23, 2020 7:30 pm

tomaszg wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:34 pm
Oh, I didn't think to put the "back" link there. I assumed everyone would just use browser back button. Next time I'll be fiddling around I'll add that.
Cool. I was thinking that if I share my stats page and someone see it and would like to generate their own, it would be nice if there were a link they could click to get the main page.

Thanks.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

tomaszg

Post by tomaszg » Sun May 24, 2020 9:35 am

I made the top header a link back to the main page.

BTW. I noticed something might be wrong with values returned by API for your site. For some reason in most cases the "region" is empty even though I can see it is set for that particular cache by viewing it via the webpage.
Image ImageImage