Feeling on Wherigo caches?

About the Opencaching Site
Altered7151
Feeling on Wherigo caches?

Post by Altered7151 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:00 pm

So I know the wherigo project was initially started by groundspeak, but they have seemed to abandoned it. All recent development has been through individuals in an open source environment, much like opencaching. Recently there have been apps developed for both the iPhone and android based smartphones, both of which look like they're going to breath some new life into the concept. The question I guess I have is whether or not wherigos can be supported here on OCUS? Even though GS seems to have abandoned the project, I believe they still own the rights to the name. Is that a dealbreaker to making them available to the OCUS community?

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Feeling on Wherigo caches?

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:07 pm

I'd have to think the name is copyrighted. So far, I've sort of ignored the whole category since I don't have a device to do them with. The concept seems to have merit, but the limited access and relative difficulty in creating them, would have to be overcome to make them worthwhile.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Altered7151

Post by Altered7151 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:52 pm

I was the same way, then I bought an Oregon and started playing with the builder. But now with the release of the iPhone and Android apps it's made them much more accessible. I know in our local area there is a pretty good buzz lately on them. Several people have cartridges in the works, including myself.

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:21 pm

If there are open source versions of the cartridges and builders, then a name just has to be developed.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:30 pm

I have wereyougo on my Android but I cant seem to get it to work I cant get the file to my phone

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:59 pm

The term "Whereigo"is copyrighted by Groundspeak. Although some have an interest in the game, it is basically a failed project and I have no desire to get involved with it.

nighthawk700

Post by nighthawk700 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:39 am

Sabrefan7 wrote:I have wereyougo on my Android but I cant seem to get it to work I cant get the file to my phone
How are you trying to get the file on your phone? I downloaded the cartridge to my computer, then either emailed it to myself, or connected the Droid to the computer and copied it over, I can't even remember which I did now. The file goes on the memory card, not in the phone's memory. Whereyougo creates its own directory on the memory card. (called WhereYouGo, oddly enough). I used it for the first time this past Sunday at the Scottish Rite Temple in DC. Nice tour, although the final container is missing. (I emailed the CO a picture of myself there and some other info).

Anyway, if you are still having problems, let me know, we can try to compare notes on our install to see what might be different.

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:31 pm

I think my problem is my computer. I have a good one with a stable OS not a crappy windows pc ;) Looks like Whereigo is not mac friendly.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:16 pm

Sabrefan7 wrote:I think my problem is my computer. I have a good one with a stable OS not a crappy windows pc ;) Looks like Whereigo is not mac friendly.
That's a distinct possibility. Someone local to us both (i.e. Rayman) has had pretty good luck with Whereigo on Android, and he's definitely a PC user. Of course the only time I tagged along with him for one, it crashed, and we had to throw in the towel. :D He has found quite a few with it though, with minimal issues.
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:22 pm

RVRoadTrip wrote:The term "Whereigo"is copyrighted by Groundspeak. Although some have an interest in the game, it is basically a failed project and I have no desire to get involved with it.
Yes, this is a Groundspeak invention, and collaboration with Garmin. I'd never expect to see anything here. A failed, mostly abandoned project? I'd have to say pretty much, yes. :o
ImageImage