Spirit Quest prefix

General Information About Geocaching
RVRoadTrip
Site Admin
Re: Spirit Quest prefix

Post by RVRoadTrip » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:43 pm

dudleygrunt wrote:The lack of hang-ups about agendas on any of the "alternative" sites, is definitely one the draws for me. Notice I have the "Support The Troops" version of the MAGC banner on my caches. That is, of course, verboten over at Jeremy's place.
While I agree in principle with the "no agenda" rule, I see no reason to be opposed to supporting our troops via a simple banner. That's just being a good American. If it goes any further such as being for or against war, etc... I would nix it. I don't want to see anything else, though. You can save the whales on another site, you can discuss politics on another site, you can free Tibet on another site... and so on. This site is about geocaching in the good ol' U S of A. Let's stay focused on that and we'll all be happy campers.

Now back to the topic.... :D

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:36 am

glorkar wrote:What other states use the "_SQ" prefix? ("_" indicating state letter and SQ standing for Spirit Quest)
For instance, My first virtual cache for OC is WSQ Chief Oshkosh in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Around here, we attach the prefix to any cache that is in or near a cemetery. I want to say it started out in Indiana and spread from there, but still seems to be centralized in the midwest.
Now this is interesting. If I do a keyword search for "Spirit Quest" on GC.com, it sorted them by date placed, and the first ones I see were placed in 2002 by Lil Otter from Wisconsin! Then of course there are boatloads of them in 2002 and 2003 in Indiana. Definitely a Mid-West term, with Indiana leading the charge. I did see quite a few in Washington State and British Columbia, of all places!

Cemetery cache names have developed on a highly regional basis though. SQ is unheard of in NY where I'm from. The only cache I've ever found with a Spirit Quest prefix was in SW Ontario near Sarnia, and I'm sure that was influenced by the many SQ's in Michigan.
ImageImage

Shilo

Post by Shilo » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:05 pm

Georgia has a GSQ, based off Indiana's ISQ series.

LZ33 has started it and tries to promote it here in GA. He asked me to but I'm just not a big cache placer in general. Someday I might.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:07 pm

Shilo wrote:Georgia has a GSQ, based off Indiana's ISQ series.

LZ33 has started it and tries to promote it here in GA. He asked me to but I'm just not a big cache placer in general. Someday I might.
Well, SQ is definitely the number one name in the U.S. and Canada on a whole. But I just don't think it's going to come in and take over where a regional name is in use for dozens of established caches. Interesting I suppose, that it's taking hold down in Georgia.
ImageImage

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:54 pm

I never saw the SQ designation till I was looking at a cache in Wisconsin (because of a GC thread were Ed Gein came up go figure) As Mr Yuk stated its not used here in NY. We seem to have several.
R.I.P., Crossing Over, Faded Marker (from Ontario) There is a couple more that Im doing a brain freeze on right at the moment :roll:

Shilo

Post by Shilo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:04 pm

Mr.Yuck wrote:
Shilo wrote:Georgia has a GSQ, based off Indiana's ISQ series.

Well, SQ is definitely the number one name in the U.S. and Canada on a whole. But I just don't think it's going to come in and take over where a regional name is in use for dozens of established caches. Interesting I suppose, that it's taking hold down in Georgia.
Oh I don't think it will take anything over, at least down here in GA. No one other than LZ33 is doing it. I still might but seem never to have time to do much with it.