Cross-Posted Items

About the Opencaching Site
NativTxn
Site Admin
Cross-Posted Items

Post by NativTxn » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:13 am

:?: Many of the caches here so far are also listed on GC.com. If we have already logged them there, should we log them here as well - or not?
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

Shilo

Re: Cross-Posted Items

Post by Shilo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:24 am

Interesting question. It all depends on if a OpenCaching logbook was put in the cache.

I placed a OCUS cache but it is just here.
I might crosslist a new cache and I'll put in 2 logbooks in it in hopes that the OCUS logbook will get newbies to come here and check out the site. Because new geocaching.com caches always draw a crowd in the beginning. I wonder what would happen if I name it with OCUS in the title, if my reviewer would get it?

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:15 am

Also depend on how you wish to do it. I have yet to see a crosslisted cache with multiple log books, but I may be limited in my experience.

I only log a cache as "found" on a single site, to more easily track my combined find count (GC+OC+NC+TC).

One local cacher is going out and refinding crosslisted caches that he has previously found on GC.com, before logging them htere. This actually helped me realize that one of my caches was missing.

I would say that if you do log crosslisted caches that you have previously found (without revisiting them) you should date your log with the day you actually found the cache. Otherwise, you're essentially providing a false status for the cache as having been in place on the day you decide to log it here.

Just my opinions.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Shilo

Post by Shilo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:10 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:Also depend on how you wish to do it. I have yet to see a crosslisted cache with multiple log books, but I may be limited in my experience.
I'm only going to do it to one cache just to help give awareness to this site. It's unfortunate I can put on the OCUS cache page it's crosslisted but not the other way around, hence the reason for the 2 log books.

Btw...I never have seen a cache with 2 logbooks either :)

BlueStone

Post by BlueStone » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:57 pm

Shilo wrote:I'm only going to do it to one cache just to help give awareness to this site. It's unfortunate I can put on the OCUS cache page it's crosslisted but not the other way around, hence the reason for the 2 log books.

Btw...I never have seen a cache with 2 logbooks either :)
I'm an underdog kinda guy, and the above is one reason I would pull an existing cache from GC, change it just a bit, then only list it on OC. I might be moving, and am pulling all my caches. Once I start placing again, I hope to place some OC-only caches.

Btw... I had a cache with FIVE logbooks :D . Granted each stage of the multi had separate containers with one logbook each.

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:36 pm

Headed for warmer weather bluestone?

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:03 pm

When you sign the log book, you can write the date and your caching name. If you wish, on the next line simply write the word "opencaching". If they don't know what that is, they will Google it.

BlueStone

Post by BlueStone » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:38 am

Good point RVRT.

WHenever I cross listed, or posted an NC cache only, I always put the "alternative" website on the front cover, under the name of the cache. I figured if someone was already seeking the cache, 9 times out of 10 they probably had already heard of GC.

Midnight Cobra

Post by Midnight Cobra » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:06 pm

If the cache is cross-posted, who gets the first to find on OC? I found a user in my area who has cross-posted all his OC caches and giving the FTF to the GC finder without them even logging it on OC. I don't really like cross-posting for two reasons because I want bragging rights if I get the FTF on OC. I prefer to find caches that are different and perhaps not allow on GC. I don't mind if someone reuses an old excellent cache, because it brings it new life. If I was to hide a cache and then posted it as a GC, OC, TC, & so on. Where's the fun?

IDLookout

Post by IDLookout » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:16 pm

Yeah, i'm not a big fan of cross posting. I plan on archiving my groundspeak caches and making them OC only.
Conrad V
Clark Fork, ID
Mountain Forum Mod