Garbled Emails

For reporting issues with the OCNA site.
RVRoadTrip
Site Admin
Re: Garbled Emails

Post by RVRoadTrip » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:09 pm

We haven't changed a thing on this end. I receive copies of each outgoing email and none have been garbled. I have read them from my Droid phone, and from my browser. My Droid is running Froyo using the default email app. My computer runs Win7 and Firefox 3.6.11.

Not being able to duplicate your problem makes it hard to determine what the cause is. It would seem that everyone would have the same problem when using "X" email client with "X" operating system, but that is not the case. The reports are very sporadic and there is no common denominator. More information is needed but so far no one has provided any. It has been asked several times and no answer so far... but what email client are you using?

Send me the full headers of a good email you received from OCUS along with the full headers of a garbled email you received so I can compare them.

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:12 pm

As stated previously: Outlook 2007 /Win xp sp3
I have tried no other as that would involve submitting another cache or asking someone else to after setting up another client as all messages are removed from my server when downloaded.

I know another individual here that has the same problem since he signed up on his Droid (client unknown) so he removed notifications rather than deal with it. Another here also said they had problems with notifications.
Sherken reports the same thing (unknown client). Another posted a problem about their phone.
I suspect others have it as well and just haven't come to the forums or disabled the notifications.

This is affecting different clients on different devices.
All have been dismissed as if it is their problem and they must change when the only garbled message's among hundreds are from OCUS.
Mine were fine until just recently.

Some things I have noticed.
Problems on my messages began 10/23/10
Only occurs on "notifications" from OCUS
Logs appear OK but last one was recieved 10/22/10 before I encountered the problem
The "sent" section is now "none" where it should state the date and time (was correct on earlier messages)
The from title in the inbox is now blank where it used to say "notify@OCus...)
Several messages are reported by Outlook as having "blank lines removed from this message"
indicating format problems.

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:14 pm

I'll send copies when I get back to my system.

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:59 pm

Perplexing. I would try to see if its an outlook problem just to be sure. Just a suggestion, change your notification email and log your own cache

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:49 pm

It affects other clients and systems.
Logs have always been fine and one recieved after a garbled notification was fine.

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:11 am

Based on the headers you sent me, I see only difference that could cause this...

From a properly received email: Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
From a garbled email: Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="=======AVGMAIL-5B4A44F6======="

Our messages are sent as plain text, no code, no HTML or anything. Some email clients treat the first line of the message differently so I will make a change there and see if that helps you. The information you provided is what I needed to start checking things on this side. Let me know if you receive any more garbled emails.

Thanks!

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:53 am

You have that backwards
The AVG scanned email was correctly recieved
The unscanned one was the Garbled version

I checked the garbled mail by right clicking on it and it WILL allow me to "view source" bringing up the html code which it should not.
The older correctly displayed mail would NOT display any html

I would need some sort of "notification" email to check for sure since logs and messages from other cachers arrive properly.

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:16 pm

Send me the GPS coordinates for where you are. I will submit an entry that should auto-notify you (if you have that turned on). I also sent you a test "Found" this morning. If you receive that OK, you can delete that entry. I won't have reliable internet this weekend so it may be Monday before I can get back to you.

Shilo

Post by Shilo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:50 pm

I just received a new cache notification via Gmail and it was fine.

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:46 am

I made a few changes trying to determine why a few users receive garbled emails. If ANYONE receives an unreadable email from the system, please let us know right away. Thanks!