Cross listed caches

General Information About Geocaching
BlueStone
Re: Cross listed caches

Post by BlueStone » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:52 am

Mr.Yuck wrote: Because far as I can tell, it's the the most serious competition that Geocaching.com has anywhere in the world. Don't quote me on that one though.
I agree. It seems the Germans are what is keeping Navicache alive. That area of Europe seems to be about 80% of the activity on NC.
NC is also a good example of the problems of x-listing. As much as I hate rules, and love the idea of less hands-on by the cache site itself, the amount of actual archived caches, which ARE taken down on GC, are still shown as active on NC. This shows that it really is important for a site admin to take an active stance on making sure caches that physically get archived, are also updated on their site.
It only looks bad for the site, and I'm sure once cache hunters waste time looking for one thats really archived, but still listed, it will definately turn them off the site. NOT a good thing for a site's longevity.

I hope OC has a plan for this.

Cachegeek

Post by Cachegeek » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:47 pm

BlueStone wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote: Because far as I can tell, it's the the most serious competition that Geocaching.com has anywhere in the world. Don't quote me on that one though.
I agree. It seems the Germans are what is keeping Navicache alive. That area of Europe seems to be about 80% of the activity on NC.
NC is also a good example of the problems of x-listing. As much as I hate rules, and love the idea of less hands-on by the cache site itself, the amount of actual archived caches, which ARE taken down on GC, are still shown as active on NC. This shows that it really is important for a site admin to take an active stance on making sure caches that physically get archived, are also updated on their site.
It only looks bad for the site, and I'm sure once cache hunters waste time looking for one thats really archived, but still listed, it will definately turn them off the site. NOT a good thing for a site's longevity.

I hope OC has a plan for this.
I am sure no one will argue that archiving caches should be the responsibility of the owner. But the fact is owners lose interest and drop out of sight. That said I think if someone seeking a cache is unable to locate it they should post a note. If someone sees a cache is disabled on GC.com post a note to an admin or a note on the cache. My opinion is that is should be everyone's responsibility to keep caches active or notify of an cache that has an issue or that needs archived.
ImageImageImage

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:50 pm

At the top of every cache page right in the center is the "REPORT A PROBLEM" tab. You can use this to either send a note to the CO or the OCUS team.

BlueStone

Post by BlueStone » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:28 am

Kewl. I was just wondering if OCUS was planning on being as proactive as, well, OUR, local GC reviewer (SapienceTrek) is on getting something done about problem caches.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:26 am

I do hope, that with some of the features we have here, we'll be able to avoid the problems some other sites have had with crosslisted caches.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:52 pm

RVRoadTrip wrote:Use Google to translate the page for you... it does fairly well. And Opencaching.pl has over 10,000 caches on its site.
Oh by the way, this was maybe a month ago, but I did manage to fiigure out that opencaching.de has about 45,000 active listings. This is way way more than Navicache or Terracachng.com. Last I looked, Navicache was still under 10,000 (and over half of them in Germany).
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:36 am

Mr.Yuck wrote:Oh by the way, this was maybe a month ago, but I did manage to fiigure out that opencaching.de has about 45,000 active listings. This is way way more than Navicache or Terracachng.com. Last I looked, Navicache was still under 10,000 (and over half of them in Germany).
My understanding is that TC has roughly 10,000 or caches, as well. Unlike Navicache, though, very few are crosslisted and a majority are in the US. There is also TerraCaching.EU, which lists additional TC hides in Europe.

10,000 may sound high when compared with current OpenCaching.US numbers, but we are less than 3 months old. I believe that this site definitely has the potential to break those numbers in the coming years and be a much more formidable player in the overall caching world.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:55 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:Oh by the way, this was maybe a month ago, but I did manage to fiigure out that opencaching.de has about 45,000 active listings. This is way way more than Navicache or Terracachng.com. Last I looked, Navicache was still under 10,000 (and over half of them in Germany).
My understanding is that TC has roughly 10,000 or caches, as well. Unlike Navicache, though, very few are crosslisted and a majority are in the US. There is also TerraCaching.EU, which lists additional TC hides in Europe.

10,000 may sound high when compared with current OpenCaching.US numbers, but we are less than 3 months old. I believe that this site definitely has the potential to break those numbers in the coming years and be a much more formidable player in the overall caching world.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this site will easily surpass Navicache and Terracaching, and end up being by far the most viable Geocaching alternative in North America. That with the excellent site template from European web designers, and a dedicated U.S. based owner (if owner is the correct word there). All of whom I assume will remain interested, unlike what happened with the first two mentioned.

Oh, and I did look at Navicache again yesterday, they are actually sitting at a little under 8,000 active listings, and I'd suspect a good 3/4 of them cross-listings.
ImageImage

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:03 pm

I'm not the "owner" of the site, the geocaching community owns it. I simply provide a place for them to store their data. Through user feedback and input from other OC sites, this site will evolve to be what the community needs it to be. I am a volunteer, as are the the mods (we have red and green names on the forums) and no one earns a salary. We do use Google AdSense on the site to offset the cost of maintaining the server and for bandwidth. Aand as the site grows, hopefully so will the revenue generated from Google (I just want enough to cover costs). So tell your friends about the site, share it on Facebook, MySpace and any forum you use. It shouldn't take long before the site really takes off.

And a big thank you to the users!

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:57 pm

RVRoadTrip wrote:I'm not the "owner" of the site, the geocaching community owns it. I simply provide a place for them to store their data. Through user feedback and input from other OC sites, this site will evolve to be what the community needs it to be. I am a volunteer, as are the the mods (we have red and green names on the forums) and no one earns a salary. We do use Google AdSense on the site to offset the cost of maintaining the server and for bandwidth. Aand as the site grows, hopefully so will the revenue generated from Google (I just want enough to cover costs). So tell your friends about the site, share it on Facebook, MySpace and any forum you use. It shouldn't take long before the site really takes off.

And a big thank you to the users!
See, I knew as I was typing that, that "owner" was the wrong word. I think you solved it though, I was looking at your profile before typing this, and you say "founder". That works for me. :P I also have already clicked on a few links from the Google ads. And some Opencaching.us merchandise wouldn't be a bad idea to offset the cost. A "paypal donate" button wouldn't bother me too much personally either, but I don't know how you feel about that.
ImageImage