Garmin bought Opencaching.com

General Information About Geocaching
firennice
Re: Garmin bought Opencaching.com

Post by firennice » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:11 pm

Garmin does not dump a lot of money for nothing. And I would say the 500 pound gorilla is Garmin. They are a commercial company, with a commercial purpose to the site. They only profited $280 million in the last quarter. So they could spend a half million on the site and never miss it. When it was up for a morning there was a lot there (though a lot of it was dead end links and hangs). However, I think it is rather despicable they chose an existing site name.

BlueStone

Post by BlueStone » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:13 pm

I got into caching in late 2002, and I can attest to a lot of what is listed on that site. I personally got to see a lot of the power moves GC made. I guess it started to jade me about GC even back then. And to see how much they have done since then. Everyone asks "Why the hate toward GS?"....Well, there ya go... A lot of it is documented.

It didnt help that our NY geocaching organization, NYGO, was started in an almost similar manner, with certain people playing the power game, and causing controversy.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what Garmin does with the domain. It may be something they did just to stir something up, collect traffic statistics, or possibly to really give GC some serious competition.

And yes, someone should email Scott at gpsgames and get OCUS.US listed. :)

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:01 am

Garmin has updated the OpenCaching.com page. The tagline had been, "as free as the great outdoors." Now, it says, "your caches, your devices, your community."
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

jeffbouldin

Post by jeffbouldin » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:14 pm

What I am wondering is what would the admin of this site like to see Garmin do with it? What kind of relationship would you hope from it?

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:15 pm

jeffbouldin wrote:What I am wondering is what would the admin of this site like to see Garmin do with it? What kind of relationship would you hope from it?
There are several possibilities with this but none are worth discussing at this point since I don't know what they are planning. I would rather wait to see what their intentions are... I would hope they would contact me if they were open to any sort of collaboration, etc.

chilehead

Post by chilehead » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:47 pm

Mr.Yuck wrote: This doesn't mean anything, but I just have a gut feeling Garmin isn't going to go through with this, and take on the 500 Lb. Gorilla that is GC.com. The whole thing could just be a negotiation ploy to get Groundspeak to create Chirp caches or something. I've been wrong about many things many times though.
They already added a special attribute icon for beacon caches: Image

chilehead

Post by chilehead » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:51 pm

firennice wrote:However, I think it is rather despicable they chose an existing site name.
I haven't a clue what they were thinking here ... why use opencaching when there are a number of other sites already using that name? It's not part of the same opencaching.* set of sites, is it? Very weird. Plus their logo leaves a lot to be desired. Google "the great dictator" and see what you find. It's already been used, sort of.

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:25 pm

Idk, I sort of like the logo. It's clean and easily recognizable, not cluttered with unnecessary "stuff." I wouldn't really compare it to that other symbol. Besides, that symbol was repurposed anyway. Wiki it and you'll see what I mean.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:25 pm

The .COM log reminds me of Spy vs Spy for some reason Dead guy with x's for eye balls

Cachegeek

Post by Cachegeek » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:25 am

I looked at the domain registration and they bought the domain in 2003. I wonder if they why that took so long to do anything with it.

Registrant:
Domain Administrator
Garmin International
1200 East 151st Street
Olathe KS 66062
US
domain.admin@garmin.com +1.9133978200 Fax:

Domain Name: opencaching.com

Registrar Name: Markmonitor.com
Registrar Whois: whois.markmonitor.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.markmonitor.com

Administrative Contact: