Terracaching.com possibly shutting down December 31st!!

General Information About Geocaching
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Terracaching.com possibly shutting down December 31st!!

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:24 pm

Yep, it's true. Late Sunday night, Scott O posted to the announcements. I heard about it at a Regional Geocaching forum, where some guy obviously saw the announcement really fast. There's nothing on their main page, just the announcement in their forums. I will cut and paste below, since many may not have an account there.
It is no secret that AngryKid has been working on recoding terracaching.com for years. Users' interest has suffered the same fate, in the face of unmet expectations to completely retool the site. In any situation like this, the evaluation must be made whether or not continue. In this case, the AngryKid's decision is that he will not continue.

Assuming that there is no other interest in taking over the terracaching.com, as of December 31st, 2010, the site will shut down. Any premium memberships still in effect at that time will be refunded for the balance of their remaining duration.

Thank you for your participation, cooperation, patience, and involvement in this community.

That being said, if there is interest in either assuming the site, or being part of a community that assumes control and development of the site, email scotto@terracaching.com. I will help facilitate that reorganization.
Last edited by Mr.Yuck on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Terracaching.com shutting down December 31st!!

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:09 pm

Wow. Not completely unexpected, but still a sad day. I posted a reply to another post by ScottO, inviting folks to come over and join us. Wonder if we'll have a spike in new cache submissions.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:46 pm

Never really got into TC, but it's sad to see it go nonetheless.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:37 pm

I've still been finding caches on there and just went out on Saturday with the primary goal of logging the ones in lower Delaware. Was planning to go to Gettysburg on New Year's Day to get the ones up there and to list a few more OCUS caches. Not sure whether to go earlier, now, or not bother.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:49 pm

That's a tough call. Hard to say when people will be retrieving their caches. I just hope that most people do go get their containers. It'd be a shame to have so much "geo-trash" just because the listing site shut down. Of course they can always leave them in place and simply re-list them on OCUS :)
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:29 pm

I am not to surprised by this. I have a Stone Tower cache listed in Allegheny State Park (NY) on TC I am going to move it here. I already said so on my local forum

chilehead

Post by chilehead » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:08 pm

Nothing against them, but I hardly think they are going to be missed in most places. Never really caught on except in a few pockets.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:38 pm

I'll miss them, but agree that they're a niche site. From I've seen, they seem to be fairly well distributed across country. To my estimate, they have about 10,000 traditional (loction-based) caches plus their Locationless caches, mostly across North America. Unlike Navicahe, though, pretty much all are unique to their site.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Re: Terracaching.com possibly shutting down December 31st!!

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:29 pm

I like the fact that I can alter my post title!! Perhaps I was a little hasty in saying they were shutting down December 31st. It seems there are a lot of people offering "help" over in their forums. And plus the Terracaching.eu guy is a strong candidate for keeping the site running. We will see what happens, just like Garmin and Opencaching.com. Just because AngryKid is throwing in the towel doesn't mean it's dead yet.
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Terracaching.com possibly shutting down December 31st!!

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:18 am

I've been using ScottO's wording, "scheduled to shutdown". Schedules can always change. However, I don't have much faith anything will happen. AngryKid hasn't even commented or explained what he's looking for. At one point, he supposedly looking at possibly selling the site. After years of being promised TC 2.0, I may just be jaded, though.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image