Benchmarks

Have an idea for the site? Share it here.
NativTxn
Site Admin
Benchmarks

Post by NativTxn » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:16 pm

Would there be any way to import all the Benchmarks from the NGS and have them show up on the maps? And have them count as a find? These two features are seriously lacking from the GC site and I'd love to see them here. It'd give us a huge database of items to find. If they are set up as a Type, they'd be easy to filter out for those that don't want to do them.
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Re: Benchmarks

Post by RVRoadTrip » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:10 pm

I'll look into this...

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:59 am

I like the idea. I enjoy looking for different types of benchmarks

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:05 pm

GC has a pretty active benchmark forum. It might be a good idea to check in with some of the people on there.
Holograph has compiled an archive of datasheets by state here: http://www.holoscenes.com/special/geoca ... chive.html
Not really sure how to integrate it though.
In my opinion, it's not really worth it to add them to our site. The biggest complaint on GC is that the list is outdated. That means constant updates to the database. If you are looking for an easy way to see them on a map, use: http://benchmarks.scaredycatfilms.com/. But that's just my opinion.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

NativTxn
Site Admin

Post by NativTxn » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:37 pm

Maybe I should have put this in the Site Suggestions section.
Image Image Image
My Website

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:47 pm

With the structure of the benchmark database compared to our database, I do not see a way to do a direct import. If there are benchmarks in your area, you may submit them as a cache. Any suggestions on how to list them? New cache type or simply an attribute? what sort of icon to use? Let me know what you all think.

NativTxn
Site Admin

Post by NativTxn » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:15 pm

Just to get it started, I submitted 4 of them today as Virtuals. I put the BM number and official name as the title. I might start submitting them as I personally locate them and would enjoy anyone else doing the same (so I can go out and have some more finds). An Attribute would be nice, if not a specific TYPE. I just put "BENCHMARK" in the Short Description. I may even think about marking them as "FOUND" so they will count. You can get a smiley, but they don't count in your finds on GC.
Image Image Image
My Website

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:24 pm

I like the Dome Cache Nativtxn good idea!

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:27 pm

I see all of the ones you've posted are intersection stations. Just be sure to check the NGS page (http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/) for updated recoveries. Water towers and antennas are frequently misidentified. Also, if you use a benchmark disk as a cache, please please please advise finders not to damage, move or take the mark.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:22 pm

Benchmark submissions should be made only after you have been to it yourself. Don't take the word of some online database. You might end up sending folks on a wild goose chase. I'll work on adding an attribute for benchmarks (they are a virtual IMO).