Terracaching.com possibly shutting down December 31st!!

General Information About Geocaching
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Re: Terracaching.com possibly shutting down December 31st!!

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:35 am

This thread has been linked on the Geocaching Podcast show notes for this week.

Various possibilities are being discussed in the TC forums in the thread, In order to keep Terracaching.com going, and it is looking like the site may get a reprieve, after all.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:59 am

DudleyGrunt wrote:This thread has been linked on the Geocaching Podcast show notes for this week.

Various possibilities are being discussed in the TC forums in the thread, In order to keep Terracaching.com going, and it is looking like the site may get a reprieve, after all.
I was really hoping to see it die, to be totally honest. :D And if you read ScottO's posts over there, that was their intention, and they seem rather surprised at all the "offers" they have received, and it looks like they will accept the best offer. Just when I've thrown my full support behind this website as the most viable alternative to Geocaching.com ever (in North America, I mean), someone wants to come along and "save" a long since abandoned failure, and Garmin wants to come along and stomp on over the top of the Opencaching name.

A couple of minor setbacks, I say. Stay the course. :D
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:50 am

While I don't wish in on TC.com (I am a user), the closing of the site would have likely been an impetus for, at least a good number of TCers to come join us. If Angry Kid had actually shut the doors, I can imaging TerraCaching.eu, having decided to just open up to caches in the North America, though, it might have taken some sort of upgrade.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:11 pm

Well, not like I was gleefully hoping for death for Terracaching or anything. I do own 3 caches, and have placed a 4th (archived). But once they announced they were shutting down, I expected they would be, and it's obvious they did too. Does anyone have the knowledge to take a website coded by AK, and improve it to V 2.0? They better, because it's been needed for years. Additionally, Terracaching.com was slow as Molasses from day one, and that's even with all user images hosted off site, which I always thought was ridiculous. They could have allowed small uploads, even Navicache does that.

I guess I'm just whining because I got my hopes up for a influx of users and caches here, and generally all "good ones" at that, and now it's not going to happen.
ImageImage

Joshism

Post by Joshism » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:53 pm

IMO it would probably be good for the community if Navicache and Terracaching shut down and the people there moved here or even to Garmin. OCUS and GarminOC both have much more bigger, brighter futures than NC or TC do.

Terradactyl

Post by Terradactyl » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:24 am

Mr.Yuck wrote:Well, not like I was gleefully hoping for death for Terracaching or anything. I do own 3 caches, and have placed a 4th (archived). But once they announced they were shutting down, I expected they would be, and it's obvious they did too. Does anyone have the knowledge to take a website coded by AK, and improve it to V 2.0? They better, because it's been needed for years. Additionally, Terracaching.com was slow as Molasses from day one, and that's even with all user images hosted off site, which I always thought was ridiculous. They could have allowed small uploads, even Navicache does that.

I guess I'm just whining because I got my hopes up for a influx of users and caches here, and generally all "good ones" at that, and now it's not going to happen.
I was closely involved in the startup of Terracaching and the second active member on that site and have particpated actively and almost exclusively in terracaching since its inception. I remember how difficult it was to get that program running with placement of caches etc. I'm not one who gleefully expected TC 2. I didn't find the site particularly slow as has been pointed out by others. In short, it served my needs well. I've downloaded all the caches in the states of Idaho, Montana, and my home state of Washington currently listed on that site which I have not found in the form of TPX files. For me it was always about the hunt and not the find. I'll use those caches as a basis for my future hiking/backpacking activities. After careful consideration, I do not plan to participate in the startup of any new geocaching sites although, as the old saying goes, the best laid plans......

IDLookout

Post by IDLookout » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:34 pm

Good News from ScottO at TC.com:
Just to keep you all posted:

Terracaching will continue, rumors of its demise have been greatly exaggerated! The site has a potential buyer and both sides are working to finalize the agreement. We hope to have a smooth transition, though there may be some glitches along the way. Please be patient! The goal is to keep the theme of Terracaching intact while making enhancements to the site.

There will be more to follow...
Conrad V
Clark Fork, ID
Mountain Forum Mod

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:30 pm

I'm curious. What do you think? Do they "need" to at least announce the winning team by Friday? Do you think they will? How long past 1/1 can they let us hang?
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:22 pm

ScottO wrote: TerraCaching Forums
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:44 am

Just to keep you all posted:

Terracaching will continue, rumors of its demise have been greatly exaggerated! The site has a potential buyer and both sides are working to finalize the agreement. We hope to have a smooth transition, though there may be some glitches along the way. Please be patient! The goal is to keep the theme of Terracaching intact while making enhancements to the site.

There will be more to follow...
I'd still REALLY like to see the new management named by tomorrow (31 Dec), otherwise, it just seems we're just getting vague assurances.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Coffee Peddlers
Site Admin

Post by Coffee Peddlers » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:00 pm

I agree... it makes it look like perhaps there might have been a little "shut down regret". Or perhaps they see the chance to increase prices or open new avenues of revenue so they decided to keep it.

I hope this is not the case, cause I doubt it will be enough to keep their (ScottO and Angry Kid) interest and I would hate to see a few months down the road going through something similar again.

Some sort of introduction I think would be nice to see.
Cheers
CP
Tackling Ontario's hiking trails one step at a time and now invading Michigan Trails as well.