Garmin bought Opencaching.com

General Information About Geocaching
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Re: Garmin bought Opencaching.com

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:08 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:Speaking about angsty forums, see the "www.opencaching.us thread" at OCCOM for a true Christmas miracle. (esp. posts 17-25).
Well, it's a little early, so maybe it's a Festivus miracle? Especially since grievances were being aired? :?: That was quite a change of pace, and I do agree there are going to be people seeing the established opencaching community as "whiners".

Just curious, is the OP of the thread one of the European OC developers?
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:24 pm

Actually SONICSIX is RVRoadTrip. My guess is that he used his Garmin account to create his OCCOM login. I'm sure he'll chime in, soon, though.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

ijeep

Post by ijeep » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:24 pm

Festivus...ok, that's funny. :-)
Bill, OC US Moderator, Division 6
Always waypoint the Jeep!

Moofia Mob7383

Post by Moofia Mob7383 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:58 am

Give OpenCaching.com a year to see how things go.
"The Moofia Mob" (Moofia Mob7383, Jennsweetgirl & TSP0829)

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:45 am

Moofia Mob7383 wrote:Give OpenCaching.com a year to see how things go.
I've been saying pretty much the same thing from another angle to everyone who think they're a great success story. Check on them in a year and see how they're doing.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Moofia Mob7383

Post by Moofia Mob7383 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:03 am

OpenCaching.us knows how things goes during the first year. This place has been around since 2004 and it takes time to get established.
"The Moofia Mob" (Moofia Mob7383, Jennsweetgirl & TSP0829)

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:27 am

Agree. I just see certain basic issues with their model that I think will result in problems down the road. The biggest one is how reliant they are on easily imported crosslistings. I think this will result in lots of orphaned crosslistings from people who were just checking out the site, but since it was so easy to import there many GC.com hides, they did. But when they end up not staying active on the site, when the caches get archived / moved / changed on Groundspeak, they won't be updated on Garmin's site. I've seen this problem on Navicache and they never even made so simple to mass crosslist hides. When it's not quite as easy, you need to be a bit more committed before you crosslist lots of caches. And given the fact that Garmin (nor Navicache) offer a way to see which caches are crosslisted or to search for nearby caches on other sites, it makes it more difficult to check them out ahead of time.

We'll have to see how well their system works in archiving caches that get multiple DNF's without a response from the owner.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:31 am

Interesting that others have commented " give OCdotCOM a year". That is what a few of us here have said about OCus. We have thrown our support into OCus by placing caches, finding those listed, promoting the site locally, all with VERY limited response from our local community. Several have registered but have yet to seek a single cache. I hope for more and will continue to work for continued growth and acceptance.

Anyway the reason for the post, Found this on the Garmin site FAQ's while looking for information about my GPSr. Thought it was interesting that on their own website there is a limit of 5 caches being downloaded. Then they mention GC (it is a link to GC) for more downloadable caches. Of course there is only one x-listed cache in my area (GC & OCdotcom) I think it was done by accident as the lister asked the next day " OCdot com and OCUS are not the same?"

01/11/2011

There are many ways to load Geocaches to your Garmin GPS device; the easiest way is to download them through the Garmin website.

To download Geocaches to your device from the Garmin website:

Ensure your computer has the latest version of Garmin Communicator Plugin
Navigate to the myExtras tab and Go Geocaching section within your myGarmin account*
Please follow the onscreen instructions to install Geocaches to your GPS device
*If you do not have a myGarmin account, choose Create New Account to get started.

When finished, you will now have Geocaches in your device. Please note, only five Geocaches can be loaded to a single device in a 24 hour period. If you wish to load more than five in a 24 hour period, please visit geocaching's website.

If you are new to Geocaching and need additional information and helpful hints, please visit the Geocaching section of Garmin's website.

Reference Links:

https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/customer ... Home.faces

http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/test/

http://www.geocaching.com/

http://www8.garmin.com/outdoor/geocaching

ijeep

Post by ijeep » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:21 am

I think it means groundspeak will only allow garmin to get 5 caches/user/day from gc.com.

OC.com has no limit. Odd they don't mention their own site. It must be a posting from a different department within garmin.
Bill, OC US Moderator, Division 6
Always waypoint the Jeep!

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:01 pm

NO. Those are the directions for getting caches from the opencaching.com site. Perhaps it is the "garmin extras" that presents the limitation. If you want more than 5 caches they suggest going to "geocachings website" which is GC.com. The hyperlinks to oc.com and GC.com did not show up in the copied text.