Closest Unfound OCUS?

General Information About Geocaching
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Closest Unfound OCUS?

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:46 am

I know that our density / distribution are a bit uneven, but how far is your closest unfound OCUS cache from home?

I'm in Jessup, MD and currently, mine is 88 miles from home - The Franklin Mint Museum - A Piece of the Past by DJCreekCachers (OU020A). The next day I get I have available, I'll likely take the trip up to the Philadelphia area to get this and In a Pickle by Apex (OU01D6), along with a number of TerraCaches around the City of Brotherly Love. I'd thought of going up yesterday, but I'd seen that they were expecting snow Sunday night and decided to use the time to tour Southern Maryland finishing up the Star-Spangled Banner Geotrail, while there were still coins to be gotten. If you've not heard of it, check it out. It's a great collaborative effort between the National Park Service and the Maryland Geocaching Society.

Once I get the Philly area tackled, I'll be looking for a time to make a trip to the northern NJ / NY area. There are currently 9 in that region, including one in NYC. I also have a couple near Pittsburgh and State College, PA. They're a good distance apart, though, so will need to scope out nearby TerraCaches for each, to make the trips more "worthwhile".

This past Saturday, I made the trip to Chambersburg, PA to find Think Tank #1 by datritle (OU0226), which was 68 miles from home, but only about half that from an event I was attending in Frederick, MD.

You can see that I'm willing to drive a long distances to pick up some OCUS (or TC) caches, over just going and getting 10 random GC.com caches near home.

So...
1) How far have you traveled from home to find an OCUS cache? (68 miles)
2) What is you closest unfound OCUS to home? (88 miles)
3) Is it calling to you to make a special trip to get it (and maybe others in that area)? (Yes!)
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

SparrowsGold

Re: Closest Unfound OCUS?

Post by SparrowsGold » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:05 pm

Drop us a note before you come up our way!
Maybe we can meet up!

1) How far have you traveled from home to find an OCUS cache? (4 miles)
2) What is you closest unfound OCUS to home? (26 miles)
3) Is it calling to you to make a special trip to get it (and maybe others in that area)? (Yes!)

Stan

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:09 pm

Will do. I sent datritle a note, but unfortunately he was going to be working when I was up there and we couldn't meet up.

And, hey, you didn't answer the question. ;)
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

SparrowsGold

Post by SparrowsGold » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:16 pm

1) How far have you traveled from home to find an OCUS cache? (4 miles)
2) What is you closest unfound OCUS to home? (26 miles)

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:06 pm

Farthest find from home 40 miles
Closest find 7.5
Farthest unfound , 2- 29 and 33 miles and yes I need to get off my duff and get them :D

NativTxn
Site Admin

Post by NativTxn » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 pm

1) How far have you traveled from home to find an OCUS cache? 382 miles
2) What is you closest unfound OCUS to home? .4 miles
3) Is it calling to you to make a special trip to get it (and maybe others in that area)? No. I've found it on GC and I'm not sure that I want to have finds in both places. The next one that I haven't found at all is 50 miles. I'd like to get it when time allows.
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:04 pm

NT - I didn't count caches I've logged on another site as "unfound". I only log as found on one site, as well. There is only one crosslisted OCUS hide near me that I found before it was listed on OCUS. I posted a note and added it to my Ignore list, so it wouldn't show up when I search for unfound caches.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:25 am

92 miles, about 1 hour 45 mins away by highway or $25 in gas round trip.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:25 pm

With the publication of MotherWolf's first OCUS hide, Spirit Quest: Remember Forever, my closest unfound has (for now) been reduced to 9.93 miles. I'll go out to it on Saturday, but have been surprised that no one else has claimed it, yet. I don't necessarily want to be FTF on a cache I approved, but it IS a virtual (so I don't really have any sort of unfair advantage) and I may still wait to claim it, even after I visit and get my photo. I'll have to see how kind I'm feeling.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

GOF

Post by GOF » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:20 pm

Only about eight miles for me. But that will change soon. ;)