Printed BIT

Bound ID Tag Caching
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Re: Printed BIT

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:40 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:You can print it as soon as you create the page and go back into the edit mode.
OK, I believe you. It's just that you or RVRT approved it so fast, I didn't get to check thorougly.

Hey, I don't want to start another thread, but you know what I have just noticed? You pretty much have to make 2 trips to place a BITCache; one to get coordinates, and one to place it. Is this the same with Munzees? Probably 90% of my 60 or so caches on all the websites have been placed by carrying the container with me with a general area for it in mind, and go home and write it up. I don't know if I'm funny that way, and most people make 2 trips to place a cache already. :D
ImageImage

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:24 pm

You can place the BIT caches the same way you would place any other physical cache. The only difference is you need to create the listing before you can print the tag you need to hide! You can use rough coordinates for the initial listing, just tell us that in your description so the reviewers will know. We will be very flexible regarding new listings for this cache type. You would only have to go back if the listing was blocked for some reason (proximity, inappropriate location, etc.). I updated the Wiki and the BITcaching.com site to better explain how to play. Let me know if you feel it needs further refining.

Munzees have no approval process at all. They allow you to place it anywhere and immediately make it live.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:28 pm

RVRoadTrip wrote:You can place the BIT caches the same way you would place any other physical cache. The only difference is you need to create the listing before you can print the tag you need to hide! You can use rough coordinates for the initial listing, just tell us that in your description so the reviewers will know. We will be very flexible regarding new listings for this cache type. You would only have to go back if the listing was blocked for some reason (proximity, inappropriate location, etc.). I updated the Wiki and the BITcaching.com site to better explain how to play. Let me know if you feel it needs further refining.
I remember asking this question when I placed my first physical BIT cache, so I thought I'd bump this and share how I did it the 2nd time. I created the cache listing from home on Google Earth. Had a good idea where I was going to place the BIT, and grabbed the Google Earth coordinates, and submitted it. It was approved for listing on OCUS not only before I visited the site, I hadn't even gone to Kinko's yet to print it out and have it laminated. So then I went to Kinko's (where it costs $2.50 to make a beautiful color laminated BIT, including printing costs, by the way), went to the field, and placed it.

All this time it was approved, but I myself had never actually published it. I was then able to edit the coordinates at home (I had guessed within 150 feet), and change the status to "ready for search" and had to hit publish, and that's all there was to it.

And if anyone is used to the strict rules at Geocaching.com, where you can't change to coordinates that are more than 528 feet different than the original ones, don't worry about it. I was able to change the coordinates for a moving cache I placed on the same day by 1.67 miles!!
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:55 pm

I actually stopped by FedEx/Kinkos this evening to redo two of my BITcaches - one that went missing in the field and one I customized for my vehicle BC. I essentially cut on in half horizontally and moved the bottom half to right of the top. I laminated both on one large sheet. Had plenty of room for 2-3 more, which would have made it only about 50 cents per item.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image