OpenCaching for Andriod

Apps and Android Phones
gallileo
OpenCaching for Andriod

Post by gallileo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:03 am

OpenCaching is the first geocaching application for Android which has full support for OC Nodes, that are the largest global network of websites which give access to thousands of geocaches.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/opencaching ... pencaching

Application OpenCaching IS NOT connected with opencaching.com

NativTxn
Site Admin

Re: OpenCaching for Andriod

Post by NativTxn » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:17 pm

Awesome! It uploads the logs! A full function app for $3.99, so it looks like it'll be worth it. I'll play around with it and see how it works.

One thing...when I did the Authorization to log into my account, the website came up in Polish. The left button is the "Accept".
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:15 am

I've purchased and installed this app and am excited to use this in the field, but have currently found all the OCUS caches near home.

The app does seem to be fully in English, now, but when authenticating you will be taken to a page on this site that is in Polish. I need to double check the location of that and see if we can fix it. Don't worry, the only thing you'll need on that page is your authentication number.

I had one problem getting authenticated on my Droid2. After seeing the authentication code, if I slid the physical keyboard out (rotating the screen), the "Authenticate" button would become grayed out. I had to end up using the touch screen keyboard to avoid that and was fine.

They have a Facebook Page or, if you can read Polish, you can also visit their website.

When you look for them in the Android Marketplace, search for "OpenCaching for Android".
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:01 pm

Edit - Updated thread title to match name of app, to avoid confusion and people searching for wrong app name.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

NativTxn
Site Admin

Post by NativTxn » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:16 pm

I like this app for the most part. One thing I didn't like was that after you did a search and got the list of the caches, then hit the map icon, your position doesn't update as you drive/walk. In order to see that, you need to click one of the cache icons and then hit the Map button there. It will only show you that ONE cache, but at least you can see when you're getting close to it.
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

Rayman

Post by Rayman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:17 pm

I downloaded this app a few months back but never got a chance to use it until this past Monday when going to look for Mr.Yuck's two new hides near me. My new GPS & GSAK weren't cooperating at all, so I left the house with nothing in the GPS figuring I would either use the app or get the coords from the app and input them manually into my GPS. Arrived at the parking area and launched the app, and much to my surprise those two new caches aren't showing up. They definitely should have as they were only about .25 miles away from where I was. I believe the caches were published the day prior, so the question is, does it take some time for the app database to refresh to match the online database?

The caches in question:
http://opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=905
http://opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=906

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:39 pm

I thought it should be more or less live with our db, but I've forwarded your post to gallileo for clarification.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:56 pm

OpenCaching for Android is generally my prefered app for OCNA, but I've noticed a couple things.

Has anyone else been finding certain caches not showing up in searches, when using the app?

Last night, I noticed that He's Your Dog, Charlie Brown! - OU044C was not showing up. If I used the app to view my recently found caches and pulled up the CO's profile that way, I could then see the cache and navigate to it. It was a puzzle and brought up another point. There doesn't seem to be any way to add a waypoint to a cache or use the app to navigate to another set of coords. I had my handheld with me, so I used that. I could have also used Columbus, which has an "add waypoint" option, or even c:geo, which as an option to navigate anywhere (coords, address, etc).

The cache in question did show up, using Columbus.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:30 pm

I down loaded it today. Im a bit disappointed . It will not show nor will it search for BIT caches and the search by user/hider will not work either

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:29 pm

I'll mention these to gallileo.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image