Geocaching 101

General Information About Geocaching
NativTxn
Site Admin
Geocaching 101

Post by NativTxn » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:55 pm

I'm doing a brief presentation about Geocaching to Geography Club at Texas A&M University tomorrow. I'll be sure to explain geocaching in generic terms (not site-specific) and I'll emphasize my "favorite site". Hopefully a few of them will try out this site.

I wish I had thought of it earlier. :x I could have made the presentation into an "event" on here and let them all go home and log it.
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Geocaching 101

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:13 pm

Cool. I'll be offering a geocaching presentation for our scout troop in the coming weeks. I got a nice BSA merit badge oriented presentation from firennice thru the Geocaching Podcast a few weeks ago and will be working to modify it a bit. Though the Merit Badge does require the use of GC.com for certain parts :( , I will have slides to reference OCUS and the other sites. I'm also starting to work on a "Troop 424" puzzle cache that will require people to answer a few questions about the troop and the BSA to solve for the coords.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

rstickle

Post by rstickle » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:07 am

DudleyGrunt wrote: Though the Merit Badge does require the use of GC.com for certain parts :(
But, you have to remember when they wrote up the requirements for the badge a couple years ago GC.com was pretty much the only game in town.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:39 pm

Perhaps "pretty much", depending on your definition, but there was TerraCaching, Navicache and GPSgames, plus other sites around the globe. And there are BSA troops in other countries, where there are other sites available.

To my knowledge, this is the only MB written to require you to use a specific commercial entity. Ironic, given Groundspeak's stance on "commercial" caches and "solicitation".

I know Groundspeak helped create the badge, but the requirements themselves should be site neutral.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:06 pm

I went ahead and acted on DudleyGrunt's "should" and split the topic. The topic rest of the posts are now in "Off Topic" under the "Scouting" thread :)
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:46 pm

glorkar wrote:I went ahead and acted on DudleyGrunt's "should" and split the topic. The topic rest of the posts are now in "Off Topic" under the "Scouting" thread :)
Thanks!
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image