Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Considering a NOTG Cache Series

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:27 am

After trying to be a bit vaguer on Groundspeak (since they'll slap your hand for just mentioning another stie) I I've been called me out on the Groundspeak forums. If anyone is interested in checking the thread out over there, click here.

I may end up making another site the final (most likely, OCUS) and possibly leaving GS out of it, all together since they don't like to play well with others.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:14 pm

I am curious of something. This intense shunning of other sites from Groundspeak, is this something that is actually written in the Terms of Use? Or is it just implied?
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:27 pm

Wow, GS mods really don't like it when you mention other sites. That only hurts the sport more than anything else. It fosters dissent with them.

czar7

Post by czar7 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:07 pm

Personally I like the idea, but I think you are playing with fire. Sort of like walking into the Coke bottling plant with Pepsi in hand. Or parking your Toyota at the Ford Factory.

The approvers are never going to approve something that will force folks to sign up for anything. So if anyone complains, they are going to disable the listing. As soon as they find out it is for OC or TC...they are going to hammer it. So at best, you will have a couple of weeks before they disable it. Then you might have some folks complaining about it.

Actually...I had a though that I might put out a few caches on GS that are physical caches. In the cache container I would put coordinates for a nearby cache that I only had listed on OC. They could find it and log it locally, but to actually log it on-line they would need to go to OC and sign up. No mention of the "bonus" cache on GS...but full disclosure on OC.

If someone complains to the reviewer about the "bonus" cache...they might pull the listing...but without mention of it in the description...I think they would be compelled to let it stand.

Oh well...I would give your challenge a try.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:18 pm

From a post of mine on the GS forums...
users would not have to log any other caches or even log into any other site. As I'm envisioning it now, they'd be able to figure the coordinates of three other stages / containers where they would collect information to find the final cache (on GC.com) as with any other puzzle cache.

The only different thing would be that these other stages would also be their own caches on the other sites. I know there are there are plenty of caches on two of the other sites that are "crosslisted" on Groundspeak. To my understanding Groundspeak does not forbid crosslisting caches on other sties. That is pretty much the same thing as my 3 intermediate stages.
If they understand my clue, they COULD choose to sign up for / use their accounts on the other sites, but they'll also be able to simply solve a puzzle to get the coordinates. If GS won't go for that, then I'll either make the OCUS cache the final or just honor the spirit of their guidelines and leave them out of it. And if they really can't play well with others, maybe I'll move more of my caches over here and off GC.com.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

czar7

Post by czar7 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:55 pm

I just clicked on your link for the GC forum posts on this topic. Yikes.

I have to pat you on the back. There was some real venom in some of the replies...and you handled them with grace and dignity. I would have just wanted to blast back.

Obviously, someone just wanted to call you out and almost completely ignored the topic.

I bow to your zen-like attitude towards replies like that! :-)

Sniperchicken

Post by Sniperchicken » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:54 pm

czar7 wrote:I just clicked on your link for the GC forum posts on this topic. Yikes.

There was some real venom in some of the replies...
There you have the # 2 reason so many cachers are so reluctant to post to the groundspeak forums.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:37 am

czar7 wrote:I bow to your zen-like attitude towards replies like that! :-)
Thanks. Figure there is no reason to take the bait get upset. I just try to just put my thoughts forward and hope for some reasonable replies.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image