Spirit Quest prefix

General Information About Geocaching
glorkar
Spirit Quest prefix

Post by glorkar » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:56 pm

What other states use the "_SQ" prefix? ("_" indicating state letter and SQ standing for Spirit Quest)
For instance, My first virtual cache for OC is WSQ Chief Oshkosh in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Around here, we attach the prefix to any cache that is in or near a cemetery. I want to say it started out in Indiana and spread from there, but still seems to be centralized in the midwest.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Spirit Quest prefix

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:04 pm

Heard of it, but don't think it is widely used out here.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

czar7

Post by czar7 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:40 am

So are the Spirit Quest designators just in the names of the virtuals or is it a waypoint mark of some sort?

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:54 am

Actually it's just a voluntary thing that the individual creating the cache adds. There is no 'check box' or anything like that. It's just a courtesy sort of thing to let people seeking the cache know that it involves a cemetery. A lot of people do not feel comfortable caching in cemeteries. Others specifically seek them out. The Spirit Quest prefix is an easy way for people to quickly identify if the cache is in a cemetery.
It can be any sort of cache: traditional, multi, puzzle or even virtual.

czar7

Post by czar7 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:47 am

Well...now I have learned something today...guess I can go back to bed! :-)

Thanks for the quick lesson!

Mother Wolf

Post by Mother Wolf » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:22 am

I have several of my Spirit Quest caches on GC, WM, & NC but none of them have a SQ prefix. It is just a part of the title. The number given the cache is at the discretion of the site. At least here in Md. MW

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:01 am

MW: I had to look at your caches to figure out what you were talking about. By prefix, I didn't mean on the actual listing number, simply the name. From looking at the ones you have on GC, we do similar things. For example, you list: "SPIRIT QUEST: We Remember." Where as I list "WSQ - Chief Oshkosh." You spell out spirit quest and we abbreviate it with a state letter attached as well (in this case "W" for Wisconsin.) I've also seen it list with just "SQ Cache Name Here."

Mother Wolf

Post by Mother Wolf » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:54 am

Actually when I started caching I didnt know that other places did the SQ prefix. I listed the cache as SPIRIT QUEST mainly for the intention that people would take a moment to reflect. Some of them are at a cemetery & others are at Memorials for our Fallen Soldiers, Police, Fire Fighters & EMS folks. GC got a bit over the top when I put in the write up to take a minute & reflect on what these brave people gave in the line. It was viewed as a platform, if ya can believe that, so I went about it a different way. My intention was so far from a platform but if that is how it was viewed then shame on them or anyone else who sees it as such. (OK I'm done with my little platform speech. Don't want to cause trouble already LOL)

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:11 pm

The lack of hang-ups about agendas on any of the "alternative" sites, is definitely one the draws for me. Notice I have the "Support The Troops" version of the MAGC banner on my caches. That is, of course, verboten over at Jeremy's place.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mother Wolf

Post by Mother Wolf » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:33 pm

Jeremy's place........now that's funny.