Virtual Caches

General Information About Geocaching
Txsyank
Virtual Caches

Post by Txsyank » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:24 pm

Are the rules to be the same on this site vs. others? Are there any rules? Really really miss the virtual caches that took us to historical sites around the areas we were visiting. It made it so easy to incorporate caching into any trip or event that we were attending. Not interested in seeing every street sign in a town, but learning about an area through visiting sites with historical significance would be nice.

glorkar

Re: Virtual Caches

Post by glorkar » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:46 pm

Virtual caches were banned before I joined GC, so I'm not sure what the rules were there. I think it's pretty much common sense for the most part. Don't send people where they shouldn't go. Require some proof they were there (ie photo or answer to question.) I think the password protection would work nicely on these. They could send you the pic or answer and you can send them the password to log the cache.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:09 pm

The general rules for this site are (as found on the Wiki):

* Ensure the cache container is clearly marked, stating that the content is harmless and giving the placers email address or other contact method.
* Only items that would be deemed safe and acceptable for an unaccompanied child to find should be placed in a cache.
* No cache should be placed in such a way as to risk damage or disturbance to any Site of Special Scientific Interest or Scheduled Monument.
* When placing a cache, the onus is on the placer to seek the permission of the landowner.
* Caches should be placed in a way that they will not be accidentally found by non-geocachers (muggles).
* No items of food or drink of any kind should be placed in the cache.
* Caches should not be buried. Holes should not be dug in order to place a cache.
* Caches should not be hidden in animal holes or runs.
* Cache containers should not be placed inside a polythene bag.
* Fences should never be crossed (other than through a gate or by a stile) when placing or seeking a cache.
* No caches should be of a commercial nature, either in location or content.
* Maintenance of the cache is the responsibility of the placer.
* When leaving the cache site, after hiding or placing a cache, there should be no visual sign of disturbance.
* No cache should be placed in or on a dry stone wall.
* Please do not bring geocaching into disrepute, never drive your car anywhere other than on roads, and always park legally.

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:26 am

Thanks for the refresher on the general rules RVRoadTrip. Looks like all of those apply to physical caches though. I didn't see anything mentioned about Virtual Caches.

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:32 pm

Glorkar, would you like to volunteer to come up with a draft for virtual caches for placement in the Wiki?
If so, here is a link to some info to get started: http://www.cacheopedia.com/wiki/Virtual_cache

The addition of guidelines would need to be added as well.

Thanks, Jerry

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:27 pm

Sure, I'll see what I can come up with.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:46 am

I just placed my first cache (a virtual) here and I used the password feature, but made it something the cacher would find on site and instructed them to use that (lower case, no spaces) as the Log Password. I should probably look through the wiki, but are the passwords actually case sensitive?
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:19 am

dudleygrunt wrote:I just placed my first cache (a virtual) here and I used the password feature, but made it something the cacher would find on site and instructed them to use that (lower case, no spaces) as the Log Password. I should probably look through the wiki, but are the passwords actually case sensitive?
Yes, they are case sensitive.

donbadabon

Post by donbadabon » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:46 pm

Virtuals will be my main draw for this site. I love running across interesting things that I might never see.

cache mates

Post by cache mates » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:50 pm

Us too... :D