August 2014 OpenCachingNA Diversified Cacher Contest

General Information About Geocaching
DisneyScout
Re: August 2014 OpenCachingNA Diversified Cacher Contest

Post by DisneyScout » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:16 pm

When calculating our final points, how do we know whether to add the 25 points for having more Sighters and Munzees? (I know I can add the 25 points for Monster Caches ;) )

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:18 pm

DisneyScout wrote:When calculating our final points, how do we know whether to add the 25 points for having more Sighters and Munzees? (I know I can add the 25 points for Monster Caches ;) )
Good question. Post your stuff, DG and NT!!! :D
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:17 pm

I would expect that you enter the points attained less the Bonus points. (since we are uncertain of the final totals)
Enter the number found in the individual races and let the verification of points correct the total points earned to account for those exceeding the Admin team races.

But then what do I know and it is not an issue with my performance in those races.

I would like to see some stats when this is all over with. How many participated? Point totals? etc. Along with the prize winners of course.

I was not able to get as involved as I would have liked but it was a fine contest that got me to try a few new things and try out the new Terracaching site even though I was unable to log my one find. And a visit from DG and SFCC to hold an event and find a smattering of my caches was an added bonus.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:42 am

TermiteHunter wrote:I would expect that you enter the points attained less the Bonus points. (since we are uncertain of the final totals)
Enter the number found in the individual races and let the verification of points correct the total points earned to account for those exceeding the Admin team races.

But then what do I know and it is not an issue with my performance in those races.

I would like to see some stats when this is all over with. How many participated? Point totals? etc. Along with the prize winners of course.

I was not able to get as involved as I would have liked but it was a fine contest that got me to try a few new things and try out the new Terracaching site even though I was unable to log my one find. And a visit from DG and SFCC to hold an event and find a smattering of my caches was an added bonus.
Oh yeah, we'll have all that stuff. The point totals, a list of everyone's entry numbers, and stuff like that. For example, SFCChaz has 10 entries, we'll list the numbers for his entries in the random number drawing next to his score. Keep an eye on the main page of the site for info, which will probably be in the form of posts to the blog.

A day and a half out, it looks like we *might* get about as many entries as there are prizes (32). A little disappointing, but not like a total embarrassment. Like 10 would have been a total embarrassment. :mrgreen: Keep in mind those 32 (if we're lucky) players might have 150 entries total.
ImageImage

Badwolf1197

Post by Badwolf1197 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:58 pm

OK, my entry is in. Looks like 480 pts. If I was paying close attention, I would have pushed for that last 20 points for one more entry, lol. Thanks for running this guys!!!

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:15 pm

Results are in! See Our latest blog post More info to follow tomorrow.
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:26 pm

The first three premliminary winners have responded, and selected their prizes! See This blog post for more info.
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:20 pm

And it's companion post on how the drawing for the other 29 prizes is going to work: here.
ImageImage

nighthawk700

Post by nighthawk700 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:11 am

Okay, I'm a little confused (which is normal for me). Looking at the prize list, I see 35 prizes, not 32, that's probably why I calculated wrong for which one I got. Can you tell me where I screwed up?

The first number is the running total, INCLUDING the item in that line. * means there are multiple copies of prizes on the line - (n).

01 A Magellan Explorist GC GPS unit from Terracaching.com
02 A Spot II Satellite tracker from OCNA Admin DudleyGrunt
03 A Cache Me If You Can Geocaching board game from DPH Games
06* (3) Premium Memberships from Munzee.com
09* (3) "Virtual Packages" from Munzee.com
10 A $30 gift certificate to the OCNA Swag Store from The OCNA Admins
11 A prize pack valued at over $20 from GxProxy.com
12 A Limited Edition TeamSnook/Space Coast Geocaching Store set of coins (two coins with same tracking code, one to send out and one to keep) from Space Coast Geocaching Store
13 A Sighter Hero T-Shirt from Sighter.com
14 A $15 Gift Certificate from Cache At Night
17* (3) 101 Devil Caches books from Navicache.com
20* (3) Bison tube packages from Drives Cache Closet
22* (2) starter kits consisting of a geo rake, preform opener, Space Coast Geocaching Store sticker and a random container or two from Space Coast Geocaching Store
25* (3) $5 gift certificates from Drives Cache Closet
27* (2) five packs of random pathtags from Space Coast Geocaching Store
28 A $5 Munzee.com gift certificate from OCNA Admin Mr.Yuck
29 500 Monster coins from MonsterCache.com
32* (3) OCNA Pathtags from The OCNA Admins
34* (2) OCNA Pathtags from The OCNA Admins
35 250 Monster coins from MonsterCache.com

Badwolf1197

Post by Badwolf1197 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:58 am

I could be wrong...but I think near the bottom of your list the OCNA pathtags are intended to be 2 prize packs (not 5). One prize set containing 3 tags...the other containing 2 tags. That gives 32 not 35 prizes.

But I don't think that affected your original calculation...I think you may have forgot to bump yourself up 1 spot to account for #65 being drawn again in the second drawing. Looking at the random # list...your winning number was 81...which was in position #27 on the random # list. Add the 3 previously drawn numbers...bumps you to spot #30...3 OCNA pathtags. But #65 was drawn in first #...so you move up one more spot to #29...500 Monster coins.

I could be wrong...I am just sitting on a boring conference call at work and decided to look at this and do something useful, lol.