Little Free Library caches

General Information About Geocaching
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Little Free Library caches

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:34 pm

I noticed if I view active topics, it goes to the last week by default, and there are currently no posts. So here's something to chew on, while we enjoy a surprisingly long stretch of spam free, yet low traffic fourm. :mrgreen:

Found a little free library cache on Geocaching.com last week, and noticed it had a separate Guestbook, in addition to the Geocaching.com listed phony book cache. I have received permission to list an additional cache at the same location as a guestbook cache, that will probably happen this weekend.

That's not my main point though. That was my first Little Free Library cache, and they are apparently quite the rage these days. Has anyone found some of these things? You can learn more about Little Free Libraries by googling it. Or you can just let me do it for you. :D
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Little Free Library caches

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:24 pm

I've seen them around and they do seem to be a trend. I've thought about placing caches at some, but have not yet and have not found any at them.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:54 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:I've seen them around and they do seem to be a trend. I've thought about placing caches at some, but have not yet and have not found any at them.
After a little delay (it was Christmas and everything), I have finally pulled the trigger on this cache. http://coord.ch/OU079D I was expecting a little more of a conversation then just hearing from a fellow OCNA Admin, but we all know classic Geocaching forums are now dead. :mrgreen:
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:26 pm

Well I only know of one near me but I had mentioned it before in my local forumwhen I saw the Dr Who fund raiser on the blog and thought I had mentioned it here. There are supposedly others in town but I have never attempted to find out where they are.

They do sound like the perfect place to hide a cache though. Open to the public. Plenty of places to hide in a small space. Protected from the elements.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:11 am

TermiteHunter wrote:Well I only know of one near me but I had mentioned it before in my local forumwhen I saw the Dr Who fund raiser on the blog and thought I had mentioned it here. There are supposedly others in town but I have never attempted to find out where they are.

They do sound like the perfect place to hide a cache though. Open to the public. Plenty of places to hide in a small space. Protected from the elements.
Thanks, TH. Actually, I Googled "kenmore little free library", as my guestbook is in Kenmore, N.Y., to see if it was showing up in a search yet. Too early for that, but I just happened to stumble on this link, as it's hidden on a Kenmore, Avenue in your area: Little Free Libraries make a big splash in Charlotte
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:35 am

I clicked the link to the Little Free Library website in the article and found several here including the one I have seen on Scottwood Terrace. That one is in an adjacent neighborhood. Their map made it easy to zoom in on the area.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:19 pm

TermiteHunter wrote:I clicked the link to the Little Free Library website in the article and found several here including the one I have seen on Scottwood Terrace. That one is in an adjacent neighborhood. Their map made it easy to zoom in on the area.
You'll notice there is some verbage on their map saying the ability to add new libraries is broken. I wouldn't doubt that happened when Google maps came out with their new API, and it threw our own maps here into a tizzy, until we found a guy from opencaching.pl to fix them. Boy, that was nice of him. :mrgreen:

For example, the one my guestbook is in is NOT listed on their map, only in their directory, which is a .pdf available on their site.
ImageImage

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:53 pm

I drive by this street on Wednesday If we ever get some spring I will have to visit it. I knew there was one in Batavia at Washington & Lewis but now there is another one Main Street too
http://thebatavian.com/howard-owens/lit ... avia/44841
http://thebatavian.com/tags/little-free-library

DisneyScout

Post by DisneyScout » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:26 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:I've seen them around and they do seem to be a trend. I've thought about placing caches at some, but have not yet and have not found any at them.
There's a little library in the playground at Lake Waterford Park in Pasadena, MD

DisneyScout

Post by DisneyScout » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:32 pm

Mr.Yuck wrote:For example, the one my guestbook is in is NOT listed on their map, only in their directory, which is a .pdf available on their site.
How often is their pdf updated? I noticed the URL said 2012.