Reviving archived G$ virtual caches

General Information About Geocaching
ithink314
Re: Reviving archived G$ virtual caches

Post by ithink314 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:50 am

Mr.Yuck wrote:
Manville Possum Hunters wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote: I deleted one of your double post. Because here at the OCNA forums, we do not delete posts without explanation, like Big Green (or Big White, these days). :D
In the process it seems you also deleted 33 or 50% of my posts here. It's no skin off your fingers, but it is one of those things that discourages participation. Just like at GC forums. The explanation is not good enough, imo, and you could've locked one post without deleting it. I for one will be even less active here as a result, not that you'll notice.
Image Image

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:49 pm

Yes it is a direct copy of the GC listing. Almost.
In review I asked that a password be substituted for the mailing of "what is east and west of this location".
A far better option.
Sure I could have questioned the submitter regarding the apparent copy, as far as I knew at the time (and now for that matter) it is the same person.
While it may not be entirely ethical to copy a cache page and I would not do it without attributing it to the drafter, no harm is intented or incurred as a result.

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:42 pm

Yes, the password is a better option. It took me about three minutes to find a picture with that information on the original listing. :D

I was following the thread on the GS forums that the listing was archived before they could log it, so they listed it here to log their find. Makes no sense to me to log our own listings here, but it takes OCNA one step closer to Waymarking and hijacking geocaches like they did on Garmin's site. :o

Just not a route that I would hope to see this alternative site take.
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Bon Echo
Site Admin

Post by Bon Echo » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:01 pm

The COs decision to log his own listing is his decision, and not a reflection of the site. I see it done all the time on groundspeak sites. That is purely a matter of person opinion. I think Terracaching is the only site where you cannot log a find on you own cache.
Wait a minute, I don't see any option for logging my own cache - when I view my own caches the only option I have is to record a comment. So how did he record a find?

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:27 pm

I have a local that logs her own caches here on GC. It is a significant portion of her find count.

And how indeed did he accomplish that log here on OCNA that is not an option to log your own listing. It is the same person listing and logging, not a slight variation in the name or anything.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:19 am

TermiteHunter wrote: And how indeed did he accomplish that log here on OCNA that is not an option to log your own listing. It is the same person listing and logging, not a slight variation in the name or anything.
Maybe they transferred (adopted) the cache to another account, logged the find and then transferred it back? ;)

I'm sure that logging one's own listings is fine, but not having the option to do so here makes it look otherwise. :)
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:32 pm

ithink314 wrote: In the process it seems you also deleted 33 or 50% of my posts here. It's no skin off your fingers, but it is one of those things that discourages participation. Just like at GC forums. The explanation is not good enough, imo, and you could've locked one post without deleting it. I for one will be even less active here as a result, not that you'll notice.

WHAT? Huh? No way! I would think that's impossible. I deleted one post from one user (MPH) from a button inside his post. Let me look into this.
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:58 pm

Yes, I did some razzle dazzle in the database to allow the owner to log their own cache as a find. I didn't think it warranted an email to all admins, or especially users in the forums. :D
ImageImage

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:15 pm

Mr.Yuck wrote:Yes, I did some razzle dazzle in the database to allow the owner to log their own cache as a find. I didn't think it warranted an email to all admins, or especially users in the forums. :D
Actually this all kinda started in Groundspeak's forums before the listing was duplicated here so the user could log their find on the archived listing. ;)

I'm good with not being able to log my own finds here, but have to admit it is a darn cool feature that OCNA has a stop in place. It seems logging one's own finds is not encouraged.
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:03 pm

Manville Possum Hunters wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:Yes, I did some razzle dazzle in the database to allow the owner to log their own cache as a find. I didn't think it warranted an email to all admins, or especially users in the forums. :D
Actually this all kinda started in Groundspeak's forums before the listing was duplicated here so the user could log their find on the archived listing. ;)

I'm good with not being able to log my own finds here, but have to admit it is a darn cool feature that OCNA has a stop in place. It seems logging one's own finds is not encouraged.
Yes, they (OCPL) had a stop in place. I determined that this would be a case where someone would want to log a find on their own cache. The "cache owner" lives 3,000 miles away, and was in town on Business. These first posts are highly sought after by many Canadian Geocachers, from what I hear.

OCPL also had a stop in place where events don't count as finds. Guess what though, we reversed that one. :D When we have to update to the new OCPL code (probably starting in Spring 2017), we'll have to do reverse it again.
ImageImage