New OCNA website: Known issues

About the Opencaching Site
TermiteHunter
Site Admin
Re: New OCNA website: Known issues

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:33 pm

JASTA 11 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:26 pm
Banner doesn't explain that current members need to reset passwords to get into the upgraded site. It only mentions the att address issue. So I was wondering what is up.

Back in June you folks communicated about the issues with the upgrade. If things are up and running you should put that out too.
Ditto.
That was my issue as well.
I saw (see) the email issue notice but there is no explaination that a password reset is needed by most members.
That is what I was looking for

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:42 pm

I have edited the announcement alerting members that they may need to reset their password and made it far more visible.

Bon Echo
Site Admin

Post by Bon Echo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:06 pm

Thanks Jasta11 for pointing that out, I completely missed the obvious. And thanks TH for fixing the notice. I will send out a bulletin tomorrow to let everyone know they should check out the new site, and will need to do a password reset.

JASTA 11

Post by JASTA 11 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:22 pm

I logged in and posted a find I made back in June when things were fubar. Things worked well, except that I had difficulty uploading an image. It says that 5MB is the maximum file size, but I was unable to get it to upload until I compressed it below 2MB (the limit on the old site). Anyway, I got it to work.

Just a couple notes on posting logs:

- the date format (DD.MM.YYYY) may confuse many Americans. (is a merger with oc.eu pending ;) )
- what's with the 'Time Required' blocks? Is this the time of day the find was made? Or is it the amount of time it takes the finder to find it? Can it be left blank? I couldn't find any info on what it was looking for.

This is it:
Snip.PNG
Snip.PNG (8.77KiB)Viewed 9087 times
So, all in all it looks pretty good. Nice job guys :)

Bon Echo
Site Admin

Post by Bon Echo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:43 pm

Bon Echo wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:06 pm
I will send out a bulletin tomorrow to let everyone know they should check out the new site, and will need to do a password reset.
Or maybe I won't - I don't see the option to send bulletins on the new site. And I just overlooking it? I posted an announcement here in the forums so that there is something near the top of the main page. I don't know that we can send a broadcast notification to all users anymore.

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:58 pm

I see no way to message all users on the main site or forum (at least at our level)

harrieklomp

Post by harrieklomp » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:49 am

TermiteHunter wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:58 pm
I see no way to message all users on the main site or forum (at least at our level)
That is correct.
It is not possible anymore to send a bulletin to all users in Polish code. The main reason is that there is a risk that mail providers notice that and mark it as spam.

harrieklomp

Post by harrieklomp » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:08 am

JASTA 11 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:22 pm
I logged in and posted a find I made back in June when things were fubar. Things worked well, except that I had difficulty uploading an image. It says that 5MB is the maximum file size, but I was unable to get it to upload until I compressed it below 2MB (the limit on the old site). Anyway, I got it to work.

Just a couple notes on posting logs:

- the date format (DD.MM.YYYY) may confuse many Americans. (is a merger with oc.eu pending ;) )
- what's with the 'Time Required' blocks? Is this the time of day the find was made? Or is it the amount of time it takes the finder to find it? Can it be left blank? I couldn't find any info on what it was looking for.

This is it:
Snip.PNG

So, all in all it looks pretty good. Nice job guys :)
About those uploaded pictures. This should be set in a settings file. It was set to 5MB. Now it is reset to 10MB. Please try it with your next upload.

The date format is also set via settings file (just look at https://www.opencaching.us/CacheLog/lastLogsList where date format is correct). Some parts in the code do not read from this settings file. That must be solved somehow.
'Time Required' is in my opinion a wring translation. I think this is the time when you find the cache. Perhaps 'Time of find' could be better.

JASTA 11

Post by JASTA 11 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:32 pm

harrieklomp wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:08 am

'Time Required' is in my opinion a wring translation. I think this is the time when you find the cache. Perhaps 'Time of find' could be better.
That's what I figured, since 'Time Required' can be very subjective (time from trailhead, time spent at gz, etc)

Also noticed the use of metric measurements instead of imperial units. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Thanks!

Bon Echo
Site Admin

Post by Bon Echo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:53 pm

You are going to notice that the new OCNA is a lot more euro-styled than it was before. that's no accident. The new site is basically a copy of the existing code used in most of the other Opencaching nodes - Poland, Netherlands, Romania, UK. The founder of opencaching.us (circa 2010) took a copy of the .pl code and modified it to make it work for the USA. Problem was that the code was not really updated and, well, by 2017 it had major problems. This new code is not a copy - OCNA is now integrated into the ".pl" code so that any important updates made to the .pl code also get pushed to all the nodes - including OCNA. There are small variations that are made on a "per-node" basis but the main site code must now work across the different nodes, all but one being in Europe. This will also show up in the way some things get translated, since there is a single English translation file for all the nodes. It may sound comical, but we actually had discussions about whether the attribute "bring a flashlight" should be translated as "Flashlight" or "Torch"

I have no doubt that changes to the code could be made so that the user could select, for example, if they want metric or imperial units. But with only a small number of skilled code writers maintaining all the sites, things like that will be a pretty small priority.
Hope that makes sense, Harrie please add to this if you wish

(BTW I should introduce harrieklomp - he is the webmaster for opencaching.nl serving Netherlands, Belarus and Luxembourg. He has put in many hours helping to make the new OCNA site a reality. Thanks Harrie for the hard work.)

This is also the reason why some cache types are not yet working correctly on the new OCNA - BIT cache, Guestbook, etc. Because those are unique to OCNA they did not exist in the oc.pl code. They are being added but there's still a few kinks to be worked out before those cache types will be fully functional.